Quote Originally Posted by Grit #1
Hey look at all the carbines, Thompsons, Johnsons, Springfield, Garands, BARs, US model 1917s, etc. that that are out there today all have had this ammo fired through them, many under battle field conditions, and most shoot really really well.Grit
I could not agree more. I woud add look at all the suplus rifles that are still around and still in shootable condition. Not only US but you also have all the Mausers, all the Russian stuff,( 91/30 etc.) and japanise, and from everywhere else. if this stuff was so dang corrisive, these guns would have been destroyed by shooting years ago. Something else to remember is most military rifles have chrome lined barrels, because of the corrisive stuff, and battelfield conditions. With that all said I would shot it but I would not go to all the pain staking detail in cleaning that you have been doing. I would be willing to bet that gun was fired with corrisive ammo in the past, and was not properly cleaned, and it has lasted around 70 years. Just wipe the barrel down with some amonia cleaner, and wipe the outside down with some CLP and call it good.