Hi all,

Working on building my 1st rifle, and I'm looking for a stainless steel action as the base. Can someone help clarify the difference between the Model 12 and Model 16? Also, do all the current rifles have a DBM?

I'm looking through the threads and the Savage catalog, and it's still a bit fuzzy to me. My plan was to pick up a Model 12 action and use that as my base for a 7mm-08 build. Given how easy it is (I hear?) to replace barrels, I would then pick up barrels and bolt heads to fill out my collection.

However, I just saw an ad for a brand new 16FXP3 in 7WSM for $430 - delivered. I think it's time-sensitive, so I may not have much time to research. If the Model 16 action has the same features as the Model 12, then why wouldn't I just pick up the rifle, and use the action as the basis for my 7mm-08 build? That seems to compare fairly nicely to the $369 price for a Model 12 action - solo.

Any insight into the different actions, and build issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GPM

P.S. Comments - would the paid member subscription be worth it in my situation, to access the classifieds? Just wondering.