Thread: Osprey international scopes

Shooter59937

Osprey international scopes

Anyone ever tried one of these. I have my eye on one that is tactical 6-24 and 50mm objective with mil dot reticle and side adjusting parralax. The price is right at less than 140 bucks. But it seems to good to be true. I dont want to spend the money if it is a crap scope. Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
    Rob

CJ in WY

Re: Osprey international scopes

The glass is better than the price...Just make sure the dealer will stand behind it.
    I foolishly didnt check this used one close enough when it came in the mail. A month or so later when I went to mount it this is the way it squared up. Osprey will not warrenty a second hand scope and I lost the info of the guy I bought it from or his name would be posted!
    [img width=600 height=450]http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/09outandabout%20195.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJ in WY
    The glass is better than the price...Just make sure the dealer will stand behind it.
    I foolishly didnt check this used one close enough when it came in the mail. A month or so later when I went to mount it this is the way it squared up. Osprey will not warrenty a second hand scope and I lost the info of the guy I bought it from or his name would be posted!
    [img width=600 height=450]http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/09outandabout%20195.jpg[/img]
    I have noticed a trend lately. I know there have always been scammers out there but they are getting worse and worse, probably because of the economy. I recently read about a guy who bought what he was told was a Leupold tactical MK scope. The black generic box had mailbox lettering from Home Depot on the side spelling out "Leupold". The scope was one of the cheap Chinese Ebay knockoffs. If I can find the link of the pictures I’ll post it later because it is absolutely hilarious.

I have also read of a lot of cases just like yours were someone bought a used scope to find out something was wrong with it. Then the buyer demands things to be right and the seller tells the buyer FU.

I purchased one of the Chinese knock offs for $55 just to they are. They are bad but for someone who doesn't have the money and want to try a mildot they will probably work. The one I bought has no audible or tactile elevation "clicks", just mush, the windage seems like it is fine. I'll assume the markings on the turret are incorrect because it says elevation is 1 click =1 min. That is 1 click is 1” change at 100 yards. Maybe that is why there are no clicks. The side focus works but the distances are way off.

As far as the glass and reticle goes, I haven’t had a chance to check the mildot reticle to see if it is correct. I will say the glass is OK at best, comparable to most new Tascos or possibly a Bushnell. It would be clear enough to use on a rimfire but trying to use it on anything that has a little distance would be futile. If the mildot is correct you could buy the scope to see if you are going to like mildots then buy a nice mildot scope if you do. Before I bought one of the Chinese Leupold knockoffs I would just buy a Centerpoint at WM for less. I bought one to see if I liked mildots and had no complaints as far as the price vs quality and now I am saving for a much better mildot for my tactical gun.

Dolomite

I know a lot of the gun community hates Pay Pal but in most instances PayPal will refund your money if you have been scammed. I have had a few times where I started the process of getting my funds back through PayPal and the seller changes their tune.

When it comes to optics expect to get exactly what you pay for. The cost is in the glass so the better quality cost a lot more.
    Stay away from the Chinese made optics way too many are just cheap copies and are JUNK and eBay has plenty of them.
    Try this site for decent prices and quality optics www swfa.com
    Also go here for many opinions www.opticstalk.com
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

If you are looking in that price range, take a look at the simmons white tail classic 6.5-20x50ao at midway $109. It is china glass however it works good out to 600yds on my fvss .308 and will probably work well past that, i just haven't been able to shoot further with it yet. It works well enough that i bought two more after trying this one. blue

Basic Member

I had one on my .220 swift, in exactly 2 shots the innards of the scope fell apart. At least I got my money back from the online dealer & bought a Nikon.

swampcrawler

Junk-Junk-Junk. Windage and elevation knobs won't stay on, focus will just "disappear" then come back, maintaining zero thru a 20 round run is a joke. The only thing good about them is they make a great"club" when you go to find the POS that sold it to you. End of rant !

joseph

I have the Osprey 10-40x50mm from Sportsmans Guide ( if it goes bad I can get my money back) and it has worked perfect for over 300 rounds on my 6mm Norma BR. which has almost no recoil. Tracking has been perfect with the box test. I guess I have been lucky.

joseph

KSP446

Just for giggles I looked at the Osprey website. I looked at the 6-24 tactical model. It says 3M epoxy and Lock Tight utilized! Utilized for what??? Is that what holds the scope together?!? LOL

CJ in WY

And a little lock-tite and epoxy go a long way ::)

Basic Member

A buddy of mine bought one of the 10x40x56 scopes for a 22-250 he has. It is fairly clear but when you crank the power ring all the way up to 40 you have to stop short of it or the reticle will rotate with the last bit of rotation with the ring,you then have to turn it all the way back down where it will then straighten up right before it stops.

He bought his from sportsmans guide and believe he is gonna see about a replacement.

kslefty

A decent quality scope topping out @ 9 power will beat a cheap scope topping out @ anyting in the upper realm. Not saying to spend a fortuen but at least get something other people recommend in your price range.