I have come to like a little lighter gun for my hunting, but I am not going to extremes chasing a particular weight. I started with a standard wood stock short action, use a 22" sporter 7-08, and drilled a lot of material from the butt and forend of the stock. With blind mag, the stock weighs in at 2.75lbs. I used this gun this past year and think it may be my deer season setup for a while. After the season, it gets a makeover with a heavy long barrel and heavy target stock.

Also, I bought a CBI barrel last year, may be one of the few who opted for a 24" heavy sporter contour. This is probably my favorite contour, with about .7" diameter at the end with a nice fast taper. I have an A&B barrel that gets to that diameter, but it is a gradual taper along the entire length and therefore noticable heavier at the front.

My lightest gun I recently purchased a Rossi M92, with a 16" 45colt barrel. This gun is just over 5 lbs and a breeze to carry without a sling. Short enough to carry in one hand pointed down and doesnt drag the ground.