Quote Originally Posted by dksac2
The Savage bolt can be improved, but it will never be as good as a Rem, but can be made better.
My smith has an easy trick that I did on mine, made a decent difference and was very easy.
There are not many who really understand the Savage rifle inside out, more claim to than do.

My Best, John K
dk (John),

I don't care so much "who" your Smith is but I sure would be interested in hearing about that "easy trick". I have been "messing" with rifles for most of my life but I never turn up my nose at "new old" info and wisdom. I don't claim any expertise with the Savage or even the rifles that I have had for 20 years and rebuilt more than once. Experts have academic training and/or many years of experience in a varied professional environment being supervised by an accredited Smith. But, I can't be a judge.

I recently started building my first Savage from the Target action on up. I got my action NIB from Jim Briggs ( great guy). It is beautiful! I don't find the bolt effort objectionable but then I own a few Mosin Nagants. It is with the MNs that I have earned a PhD in lapping. LOL I think by lubing with proper grease my bolt would be satisfactory but I can easily see where other models, not finished to the level of the Target action, would need serious help. Of course I will go thru mine in time...who can resist refining and improving a rifle? Even if it is an ever so slight improvement. :)

Hope to hear you Smiths method.

John