I got mine from a friend last year as a hunting rifle and have come to grips with that fact that I will not likely ever shoot it as a hunting rifle (twins on the way and work schedule is another factor).

I've gotten into precision shooting (current rifle is a DPMS 24" 1-8" twist .223 Rem in an AR) and would like to build out a long range precision shooter. I've already got a rifle with a long action and am pretty sure my wife isn't going to allow me another rifle any time soon so I'm going to use the Stevens as the donor.

My buddy had already gotten rid of the synthetic stock and put a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in its place. Stock is bedded and it shoots like a dream. Only paid $250 so needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it.

Looking to go with a CBI 28" Bull Profile barrel in .260 Rem.

I believe (need confirmation on this part) that I only need to replace the bolt face as the bolt head is fine for what I am looking to do. Given the barrel profile, I am likely going to need to open up the barrel channel on the stock to accept the much thicker barrel (again need confirmation on this). I'm going to replace the stock recoil lug with a SSS Competition Recoil Lug (for $28, it is cheap insurance since I'm already going to be taking it apart).

Am I missing anything else?

As for choice of .260 Rem, I've done a fair amount of reading and I already reload so cost of ammo isn't an issue for me. From what I've read of the .260 Rem, the Lapua 139gr Scenar with a BC of 0.615 is pretty damn accurate and does very well at long ranges. If I decide to hunt with it, there are plenty of hunting bullet options on top of the large number of target bullet options.