Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: headspace issues?

stangfish

Re: headspace issues?

So i am going to hit the high points that I think have some merit. The first goal would be to get a new round or a freshly resized case to be chambered and extracted with relative ease.

I see two suggestions that address this issue. One being the case shoulder or head space, is too long. The second being a possible issue with the profile of the ejector. The head space issue could be by resolved in a couple of ways. Comparison of the gage and the resized or new case is critical and cannot be overlooked.

The solution if the case shoulder is longer than the gage is to bump the shoulder back with a full length sizer die and inspect with a case head space gage. The next thing to consider is opening the chamber head space to place it nearer to the no-go tolerance. You can take two approaches to headspacing a chamber, While maintaing SAMMI spec's by staying with the go no go lengths, you can make your chamber fit yur brass or you can make your brass fit your chamber. You can make it shorter or longer but you risk either not being able to chamber a round or incipient head separation. I refuse to argue the headseperation issue due to thelikelyhood but the risk remains.

The ejector pin is next, you are working on head spacing a barrel and can figure this one out. You could polish it and put a slight radius on the edges.

I think that at this point we have smooth chambering and extraction.

Next, how is extraction after firing? Easy... problem solved. Difficult....back off on the load.

Now ladies and gentlemen, we are cooking with gas.

Basic Member

I have set up the fl dies and still have the chambering problem of being pretty tight to chamber. I'll re-adjust the fl die to see if any relief can be found. The ejector has been removed as I don't like to fish my brass out of the dirt. Actually, the ejector has flown to parts unknown when I pushed the pin out but I did find a lost extractor ball while looking for the ejector. Now, back to the work bench.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

stangfish

So what is the difference between your go gage and your resized brass (headspace)? You should be at least -.001 on the brass.

jo191145

Set those 30 pcs of high pressure brass aside. The webs may be expanded enough that they'll never freely fit that chamber again.
    Stick with virgin until the problem is solved.

On that note: Shoot and Clean? Did you thouroughly dry the chamber after every cleaning?
    Full house loads and solvent in the chamber can get ugly quick.

Best advice, remove the extractor and begin again. Either the brass is sticking in the chamber or the extractor is binding on the brass.
    Figure which is which and your almost home.

The rims on some Lapua 6BR can be very thick. Its possible the extractor has'nt enough height clearence. Gotta run............

Basic Member

Just an update. I reset the headspace using a full length piece of new brass. I added maybe a half thousandth headspace and problem solved. The bolt handle will now go barely halfway down when closing using a measured piece of scotch tape on the case. Bolt chambers fine will little effort now and extraction is good also. I shot 50 rds this past Tuesday using 85gr Sierras while doing load testing with no chambering problems.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

In my 6br I had problems with new brass not wanting to chamber all the way. short version I found my 6br rem RCBS die left the body taper a bit large and I had to run them in my 7br die with no expander to get rid of some taper. Then neck them with the 6 die.

my dies and chamber are all rem, not norma
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

stangfish

Lets hope this news is not temporary. It remains to be seen once fired and resized if it will chamber. If not we know you will need to change your load or borrow a case headspace gauge.

Basic Member

I'll find out shortly as I'm getting ready to take it out again this afternoon.

Basic Member

update on range trip. I didn't take the 6BR today but I still had a ball by introducing my neighbor's 9 yr old daughter to the sport of shooting. I let her shoot my old model 5 tubefeed 22 and noticed she was shooting right handed but looking thru the scope with her left eye. Turns out she is left eye dominant so I drug out my 17HMR lefty and the girl is a natural. Her last 5 shot group was all 5 touching dead center bullseye. She's hooked now. If weather permits I'll take the 6BR out Tuesday.

Basic Member

Good for you!!
    You can always work on the 6BR, but taking a 9 year old shooting is a lot more important in my opinion
    Thanks for sharing about your range trip
    Good luck on the issue with the 6BR
    Jack

:)
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12