Thread: .25 Gibbs

Basic Member

.25 Gibbs

Tell me what you know about it. Experience? I have done a little reading on it and have been thinking of sending my 24" 1/10 twist McGowen .25-06 to get reamed to an ackley, but this has crossed my mind as well. Looking forward to learning more about this! Thanks in advance!
    Henry.

375Win

Re: .25 Gibbs

Pretty much a 25-06AI with the shoulder moved forward. Makes case forming a little more difficult, you have to expand the neck enough so you can size it back to 25 cal and create a false shoulder to hold the base of the cartridge against the face of the bolt durring fire forming. If you have a mauser type ejector or remove a plunger type ejector you can seat the bullet out to jam in the rifling to hold the cartridge back. You can no longer use factory ammo in a pinch like you can with an Ackley chamber.

Most of the impressive gains with the Gibbs are from very high pressures.

Personaly I'd just stick with a plain 25-06 or if you really need a little extra boost go with the AI.

Basic Member

Thanks 375...Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking too, just going to try to stick with the AI as planned originally. Thanks for the input!
    Henry.

375Win

There is always the 257 Weatherby.