alrighty now I understand why its not working as I took both barrels the 338-06 that worked fine and when you look at the breech end of the barrel it is all perfectly flush across the breech end except for the chamber hole and when I drop a cartridge into the chamber all that sticks out is the rim and I can push the bolt face upon it and extract it from the chamber easily,the new 284 barrel is not flush across the breech end as there is an opening about the diameter of a nickel and about 3/10 tenths of an inch deep and when I drop a cartridge into the chamber the rim end of the cartridge is recessed and the bolt face cannot reach the rim to extract it, so now Ive become curious about what is this barrel that I have as it threads right into the action and the barrel nut spins right onto it but it appearently does not fit this application or the machining was not finished up on this barrel does anyone have a clue. PS if you go to gunbroker auction and pull up auction 265268952 you can see the last pic of the breech end of this barrel thanks again.