Happy New Year everyone!

I was stuck home after some minor sinus surgery, so I decided to try making a HBR Stock for my Savage Target Action based rifle to keep myself busy. Please understand that I have no formal woodworking training and I may just throw the stock out at some point if I don't like the way it's going. I thought some of you might get a kick out of my folly. I'll add photos as the project progresses

I started by downloading a few stock photos and working with them in Microsoft Paint to make a paper template.

Since this may just end up being firewood I am investing as little as possible in this project. So far I purchased a sheet of 18mm 4x8 standard Lauan from Loews, enough for 4 stock blanks, and a couple bottles of interior/exterior wood glue. That brings the total invested in this stock so far to about $15. I know this wood is not exterior rated and I don’t even know if it will hold up longterm. I'm not going to count the cost of the tools used, since I had most of them before starting this project, but I did purchase a few inexpensive router bits on eBay.

Like I said I'm just a little bored and I don't want to waste anyone’s time. I know I'm not the only one out there that's given this a try or at least thought about giving it a try.