Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223 Blue Dot Loads

Basic Member

Re: 223 Blue Dot Loads

Quote Originally Posted by Ksmirk
    A pound off powder is gonna last a long time I can promise you that! I was looking at one of the handi rifles in 357 and was going to run a 357 Max reamer for a little more kick excuse the pun,
    This is exactly what my friend did. It wasn't so much so he could use 357 maximum but so the heavy bullets could hang way out of the 38 spc and 357 mag cases. This allowed him to get enough powder in the cases to be able to tune the rifle. I ran into a problem of a short throat once. When using long, heavy bullets I couldn't get enough powder in the case to make it work because they had to be seated so deep in the case.

Dolomite

Ksmirk

1Shot, no shat but thanks for clearing that up for me ROTFLMAO! it's a bit different when going from the 75 A-Max to a 55gr GameKing that's what I'm talking about. yeah I'm pokin' fun nothing serious from me!

Told the little brother about these and he's off tomorrow to purchase some powder! these should be great crow medicine he thinks. We have had company over every night since I loaded these so I have not had a chance to check the flash in the dark yet but when I do I'll let ya know. Later,

Kirk

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Ksmirk
    1Shot, no shat but thanks for clearing that up for me ROTFLMAO! it's a bit different when going from the 75 A-Max to a 55gr GameKing that's what I'm talking about. yeah I'm pokin' fun nothing serious from me!
    ..The only thing different about it is how far the 55's hang out in the neck over the 75's..If you run off the ongive...It makes no diff. except how much bullet is left in the neck..When I run my 69's vs 50's the distance is still the same to the lands when set with the same ongive no#...Now if you're setting them off the tip then I'll have to Laugh My A Off.. ;D

Ksmirk

Ok I totally misread what you wrote in your original post! I smell what your steppin' in now ;D Later

Kirk

Ksmirk

My little brother tried these loads from his 223 with a 20" barrel and they were loud? I wonder what is different? I'd not think that 6" of barrel would make that much difference but then again I have never messed with these type loads before, any ideas? he loaded 10.6 and said it was not much quieter than his fullhouse loads and from my rifle they sound more like a 22LR or 22Mag! strange! Later,

Kirk

Basic Member

Barrel length makes a huge difference. The pressure drops a lot with the extra 6" you have.

The reloading data I sent you was the same for 18" and 26" barrels. The difference is the amount of barrel available to allow the pressure to drop before exit.

He can try a faster powder to try to get the burn to happen quicker. Problem is the pressure may spike to high before he reaches an acceptable velocity. He might try the loads I sent you using Trail Boss but before he buys any let me know and I will try to find out what the max load is. My 223 is a 18" barrel setup so if I can work up something that is quiet in my gun then it should be in your brother's also.

Dolomite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12