Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Field dressing/skinning knife

kevin_stevens

Is your Ulu a commercial model? If so, which?

KeS

358Hammer
    My Favorite ULU isn't made any more. The Magnum Ulu on this link comes close!

I also have the Coho filet and Bear cub sure grip fixed blade knifes. Highly recommend these products!

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/store.asp?c=17

Neal
    Last edited by 358Hammer; 10-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.

kevin_stevens
    Tx!

KeS

Basic Member
    In the field for dressing I use my Bucklite "Stupid Knife".

It goes like this. You shoot a deer, take off your jacket, roll up you sleeves and get to work. In the process of removing all the stuff inside and getting ready to drag, you look around and ask yourself "Ok Stupid, where did you lay down your knife".

The orange it easier for "Stupid" to find the knife among the leave, sticks, the log it sticking in and etc!

Bill

Cloonsfoot
    Here is the knife I use for skinning. Made myself and holds a crazy sharp edge. Couldn't be happier with it.

Basic Member
    I like my buck 110 for general work initial cutting. Rugged, sharp, and doesn't flex while going through joints. I usually don't field dress, just straight to the gambrel. I've done the whole deer with this knife but I have couple of fibrox handled butcher knives for the fine work. You can do it with just about any good sharp knife. A butcher's steel is your best friend if you know how to use it. Keep em razor sharp.
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

Gabowhunter1

Field dressing/skinning knife

The part of the job that will dull an edge quick is cutting through the hide. For this, I use a standard razor knife with roofing blades or shingle cutting blades in it. This basically gives you a replaceable blade gut hook. I use my fixed blade Benchmade for the rest of the job. Doing it this way, I only need to sharpen my Benchmade after about 5 deer or 3 hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowtie
    I use the Gerber Metolius Exchange-A-Blade system and love it.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Kn...nife_31-000587

I had one of those Cabelas special knives (trekker) brand i think, given to me as a gift for Christmas a few years back. Love it. It keeps a great edge. Has done everything from skinning deer and calves to killing pigs.
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

Basic Member
    The Havalon Piranta is about the best general processing knife I've ever used. It's a folder with real scalpel blades a bit like a field version of an exacto knife. Provided you're not splitting bone it's perfect. The scalpel blades are always sharp, they're cheap to replace when they dull so you always have a sharp blade handy. Keeping a small package of spare blades is a zero weight issue. I've used them on pig and deer and they're just fantastic. Nothing processed as quickly.

I keep a Piranta in my bag even if I don't plan to use it. If my primary knife (a hand-made by me custom with damascus steel and a burled Yew wood handle) dulls out from rough field use, I still have the Piranta. I avoid splitting bones now as it's faster with my knife selection to pull every bit of meat off with the skeleton intact.

helotaxi
    I'm amazed this thread got to page 3 without mention of the Piranta or any of the Havalon knives. I was using my Buck fixed blade skinning knife, and it was doing a pretty good job, until the butcher/game processor handed me his Piranta. Not even in the same league. I have a Piranta on order now. $0.35 for a new razor sharp blade when it gets dull. No need for a stone or steel or any of that other stuff.

Basic Member
    looks like you and I know a good thing when we see one.

A tip, don't use the same wavy hand motions and long strokes you use with a fixed blade with it. It's better to look at how a surgeon holds a scalpel and to mimic that as closely as possible. The thing works best when you allow it to be at the end of the V of the cut while you pull one side away and just press the knife into the cut to keep it widening.

Glad someone brought this thread back to life... after going deer hunting for the first time in years this fall, I realized two things. One, somewhere along the line the nice field knife with the fancy hi-tech steel got separated from my pack somewhere along the way and two, my Benchmade folder, while very nice for its intended purpose, is not something I want to have to gut/skin a deer with again.

Interesting seeing the mention of the old Case knives... my dad had one of those that served probably one of the most humble existences... the leather sheath had been bolted (literally) to the frame of the tractor cab in our John Deere 4020 that we used when feeding cattle on the ranch back home. The knife's purpose? Quick grab for hopping out of the cab to slice the twine on the big round bales before firing up the bale spreader to string the hay out for the cow

I always thought it was kind of a cool design; might have to get one for more 'normal' uses next fall

Elkbane
    This is what I've used for the last 15 or so years. From A.G. Russel Company.

http://www.agrussell.com/dh-russell-...fe/p/DHRhhh1S/

The eliptical blade shape makes it easy to sharpen, it has really good steel, and the handle is cormfortable in the hand for either skinning, field dressing or general use. In the time I've owned it, it's gone through scads of deer (I seem to be the designated "cleaner" at our camp since I'm fast at it) and probably 15 or so elk - 10 of mine and at least 5 others - just guessing. The knife has a thick spine for strength and a good bevel on the blade edge. Just a solid, well-designed knife. If I lost it, I'd have another coming the next day...
    Elkbane

woodsman416
    I got this set well over 20 years ago. I only use the small "bird & trout" knife. I've dressed hundreds of deer with it. I don't think I've ever used the guthook skinner.
    http://www.knivesplus.com/western-kn...er-wr-182.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
    I use the Gerber Metolius Exchange-A-Blade system and love it.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Kn...nife_31-000587
    Nice looking set. I use the Freeman Exchange a blade set for all of my meat processing work.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

back40
    My favorite field dressing knife is a Cabelas exclusive Buck Vanguard with S30V steel instead of the standard Buck 440HC steel. I have field dressed 3 deer at our club and the knife was still very sharp.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Anybody here had any experience with the Havalon Piranta knives?

beergoggles
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned knives of alaska....I use a D2 steel alpha wolf on generally 10-12 deer before hitting the dmt, just the butcher steel here and there.

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Anybody here had any experience with the Havalon Piranta knives?
    Read above posts 35 and 36...right above your previous response in this thread.

Sheesh... dunno how I missed that

Actually... I think at that point back then the name didn't register, and I looked at 'em in Cabela's since then.

Good to know they work well for field use.

jb6.5
    I have a buddy that makes custom knives. They are the best I've ever used. We skin from 40 to 60 critters a year deer & hogs. These things stay sharp and look good. He's got a web site to see some of his work . Its recatto knives but not sure the exact thing you have to type in.

Team Savage
    I use a folding utility knife with linoleum blades for some of the skinning.
    Next best tool for me is a Becker Necker. Perfect size and shape for me and really holds and edge and its light and small.
    Sometimes I grab a Mora too but does not hold an edge as well as the becker.
    The Kabar comes out when I need to lop of a leg etc.
    Probably use the becker necker more than any though.
    For sharpening I use a DMT double sided folding sharpener, red and green.
    Best and most handy sharpener I have found. I have even used it to sharpen scissors and
    dull sausage grinder blades etc.

IronworksTactical
    Just switched to a Havalon. Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCalhoun
    Being the germophobe that I am I always make sure my knives and other cutlery accessories are non-porous and don't have fancy holes in them. Leather is also a no-go. I don't like anything that can trap blood and goo.

I like the plastic and laminated wood handles and a sheath that can be easily washed. The skinning table the same way. I use hard white sheet plastic on top of wood. Easy to clean and disinfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast