Thread: Field dressing/skinning knife

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119. I like it so much that I have given several dozen as gifts for my family and friends. I can pick up the ones with the phenolic handle and nylon sheath at Wally World for about $40. I have tried a lot of pricy knives but I'm not sure there is anything better at any price.
    LOL - it's just funny how different tastes are. I looked up the 119, and it epitomizes almost every design feature I hate in a fixed-blade knife. Which in no way makes it a poor knife. Just funny.

To the OP - there are actually several tasks involved, and where you stop in field dressing will help you decide what to use.

For gutting to reduce weight and cool the carcass, almost anything will work as all you have to do is get under the skin and cut upward.

For skinning, you need something with a bit of curve to the blade, and probably at least 3". I have a Spyderco Sage as my general-purpose carry folder, and it will skin anything up to a zebra/elk just fine.

If you're quartering the critter, you need something that will get through bone. This is usually the decision point - you can skin with a folding knife and carry a bone saw, or you can force your way through with a heavier fixed-blade knife that can also skin - like that Buck 119. The bone saw will work better, but it's an extra thing to carry around and lose.

If you're going to bone out, it helps to have a plain thin kitchen boning knife. Either the folder or the fixed blade will bone, but you're going to get awfully bloody. If its the folder, it's likely to be animal blood - if the fixed blade, it's likely to be yours. :)

Hope this helps.

KeS
    Last edited by kevin_stevens; 10-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.