Thread: Trying to duplicate factory load

OkieOutlaw

Trying to duplicate factory load

Hey guys, I bought a used Model 11 223 rem Savage last year and quickly fell in love with this little shooter. I am now interested in getting into reloading for her as well. The round I have used and found most accurate is the standard Remington Express Rifle 55grn PSP bullet. This round is scary accurate in this rifle. I have been online shopping at Cabellas and here is what I am wanting to do. I have found bulk Rem 55grn PSP bullets at around 10 to 11 cents apiece. I am wanting to use IMR 4198 powder and standard small rifle primers. What I am trying to do is match the factory loading not so much for speed but for accuracy. (This gun and load consistantly gives cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.) Does anyone else here have experience with this particular loading. I chose the rem bullets as they have always performed flawlessly on coyotes, bobcat and deer here in southern OK. I have shot coyotes in excess of 300 yards and they dropped in their tracks. Deer seldom move more than 20 yards after one of these little zingers pass through the lungs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Trying to duplicate factory load

Sorry, no help with that powder. I can tell you that my "go-to" powder for that bullet class is Win 748.
    Cheers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Grit #1

I use 4895 about 24.5grs
    Best regards,
    Grit

OkieOutlaw

Hmmm, Maybe a reconsideration of my choice of powder is called for. Like I said I have never reloaded for the 223 much less for this rifle. I am planning a trip to Cabelas this week for dies, powder, primers, and bullets. I had just noticed that IMR 4198 seemed to be a pretty popular powder here and made my choice based on that. Keep the good advice coming guys I appreciate it a whole lot.

Basic Member

Every rifle is different and you may have to experiment a little to find the right combination, bull all 3 of my 223s have had good results with H335 using bullets from the 40 to 55 grain range.

Mike

Team Savage

Heck, at 10 to 11 cent per round with that kind of accuracy and performance, I would stick with the factory ammo. You can duplicate accuracy and performance with a reload, but after you buy all that reloading stuff (never ends), it is going to be a while before you bring down the average cost per reloaded round even close. And that's not figuring in your time and labor cost. But, if you need another addictive hobby, then go for it. ;D

Basic Member

21gr of H4198 and 55gr hornady SP or 20.5gr of IMR4198 over the same bullet is under .5" accurate in 3 223's I load for

michael word

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    Heck, at 10 to 11 cent per round with that kind of accuracy and performance, I would stick with the factory ammo. You can duplicate accuracy and performance with a reload, but after you buy all that reloading stuff (never ends), it is going to be a while before you bring down the average cost per reloaded round even close. And that's not figuring in your time and labor cost. But, if you need another addictive hobby, then go for it. ;D
    I believe he is refering to the price of the individual bullet component, not the loaded factory ammunition.

OkieOutlaw

Thanks guys, And especially Keeki for all the great load advice. Yes the 10 to 11 cents quote was for the Rem 55 gr. bulk bullets only. I am now paying 18.00 bucks plus tax for a box of factory loads and with tax puts the total cost up around a 1.00 every time I pull the trigger. That is just one of the reasons I have chosen to reload for this rifle. I am an avid varmint hunter and it can get really costly to shoot when ammo is 1.00 a round and you are on a very fixed income. I am hoping to get the price down to about half of that and still have the accuracy I am accustomed to with the factory stuff. I know from personal experience that everything I want can be accomplished with reloads as I have reloaded for my 44's, a tack driving Rem Model 788 in 243, as well as my trusty old Win 94 in 3030. Thanks again everyone. Keep those good tips coming.

Basic Member

be careful with 4198, its a fast powder and a little goes a long way

kslefty

I figure my .223 loads cost as follows, powder 24gr = 6 cents. primers = 3 cents, bullets = 15 cents. This comes out to about $5 for 20 rounds and they always shoot better than any factory ammo. Lots of fun finding the correct combo also.

Basic Member

part of the accuracy is in the speed of the bullet so to get close you would first have to chronagraf it then check how long it is next part of accuracy then make yours that long it would be a guessing game as to what powder they used