Will anyone be willing to equate the penetration performance on whitetail of .260 Remington CoreLokt factory ammo to .308 Winchester 150 grain Ballistic Silver Tips? With one hunt into a new .260 that came out of the custom shop with a stainless 24” medium weight barrel topped by a Swaro BRH reticle, I’m still learning what a .260 bullet does to deer.

With the .260 combo last week my 15 year old dropped a deer at 215 yards. The CoreLokt bullet did not punch through but bounced into the neck after hitting the front shoulder - effective.

The .260 CoreLokt is the fastest 140 grain factory load I have found, 2750 fps @ muzzle. The .308 150 grain Silver Tips have always left their mark and made tracking easy when needed, farthest shot has been 165 yards - from a Model 14.

Earlier in the week a deer scampered off and I could not find hide or hair, although I think he hit it, but could not support the claim. Acknowledging bullet placement is important, a teenage hunter will still leave me tracking now and then. Will CoreLokt .260 leave the same evidence of a hit as a .308 round?

If I were to dip my toe into .260 loading in the 140 grain hunting bullet category, are Nosler Partition & Accubond and Lapua Naturalis good choices for whitetail? Any other bullets to consider for whitetail that would take advantage of .260 ballistics and BRH reticle? Given I have no loading experience, any reason not to start with Lapua’s .260 brass with primers already in?

Thanks