Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sticky bolt and pressure signs on savage model 14 270wsm

Basic Member

Re: sticky bolt and pressure signs on savage model 14 270wsm

Quote Originally Posted by jladams

The bolt sticks in this place when you're trying to close it? yes, it sticks when closing at that point, It is hitting what I guess is the receiver but if I push down on the handle it will go in without more than a click there. Or if I push forward with force it will hit then rotate slightly and go in. That is, when you're trying to chamber a round? yes, when chambering or closing on an empty chamber.
    This is not proper function. You should be able to just lackadaisically or frankly even sloppily close the bolt without a hitch at that point. I can only make one of my rifles (Savages, I mean) give me a tick and slight interference there if I'm actively lifting on the bolt handle at that point.

I'd send the gun to Savage complaining about both the hard bolt lift with factory ammo AND the improper function/closing of the bolt. I have the idea that you're already planning to send it to them, so if it were me I'd add that improper bolt function to the list for them to fix.

Again in the interest of clarity, I wasn't suggesting that one of the rifles' chambers is cut incorrectly per se. Rather, it is probably simply looser than the other. It may well still be within spec, though. It could be outside of spec or incorrect, but I expect it's more likely just on the large side of the tolerance. OTOH, if the bolt isn't functioning correctly, and/or the receiver isn't cut properly (I don't recall just now whether the rifle with the hang-up is also the one with the sticky bolt lift or not), then who knows what all else may be incorrectly done?

jladams

A OTOH, if the bolt isn't functioning correctly, and/or the receiver isn't cut properly (I don't recall just now whether the rifle with the hang-up is also the one with the sticky bolt lift or not), then who knows what all else may be incorrectly done?
    [/quote]

Same rifle. I did not think this was right. It is the only rifle I own that does this, and yes, I am sending it back. Had it boxed up but took it out for pics. I think their may even be a problem with the bolt. If you noticed the primers on the fired rounds in the pics, the firing pin did not hit the center of the primer. I don't know how far off center is acceptable, but it is further from center than any of my other rifles. (Tikka, Weatherby Mark V, Rem 700, etc,etc.)

Below is a copy of the letter I am sending to Savage with the rifle.

I purchased the above referenced firearm from .......... on January 4, 2009. I did not attempt to fire the rifle until just recently when I unboxed it, mounted a Kahles Helia CL 3-10 X50mm scope in a 1 piece DNZ Game Reaper base, and proceeded to break in the barrel following the procedure recommended on your web site in preparation for deer season in southern Georgia.
    At first, during the “shoot once, clean, repeat” phase I used Winchester 270 WSM 150 grain Power-Point ammunition (x270wsm). I noticed that at times bolt lift was a little difficult and sometimes extremely difficult. I switched to Winchester 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip (SBST2705) ammunition and experienced the same difficult to lift bolt. However, I was able to zero the rifle with the 130 grain ammunition and even fired a 1.25 inch 3 shot group at 130 yards which I though to be acceptable for factory ammunition. However the stiff bolt was a concern. This problem seems to be getting worse as time goes by.
    Later, during a hunt I fired a shot at a predator that was only 35 yards away. I missed high and attempted a follow-up shot, however, it took every ounce of effort to open the bolt and eject the spent case. I did manage to cycle the bolt and load another round which I then fired. That round was also very difficult the extract.
    At no time has it been difficult to chamber an unfired round, however, the fired Winchester cases do not chamber easily and I had to tap one of them out with a cleaning rod.
    I tried using Federal 130grn power-shok ammunition and I am able to chamber the round, fire it, then eject to case much easier than with the Winchester ammunition, with some resistance on the bolt, but not much more than I would expect. I have not attempted to group any shots with the federal ammunition. Also, the fired federal cases re-chamber with no difficulty, except slight resistance on the bolt.
    One thing I would also like to mention is that while I was firing the 150 grain Winchester round, I noticed that one of the rounds had a jacket separation about 15 yards out from the muzzle; it still hit the target, but at impact it was slightly key-holed and deformed.
    I have measured the unfired and fired cases as best I can with calipers and am unable to discern anything in any meaningful way; however, the COAL for the Winchester 130 grain round is 0.113” longer than the federal 130 grain round I used. I am not sure if the COAL is an issue as the COAL of the Winchester is 2.756” and the COAL of the Federal 130 grain round is 2.643”
    Also, on the Winchester cases from the 130 grain round, there are flattened primers and ejector marks. On the federal case, the primers are slightly flattened but there are no other discernible pressure signs. Also, the firing pin is not striking any of the primers dead center, but slightly off center. Also, the bolt hangs up on the receiver when closing, even on an empty chamber, if there is any upward pressure, however slight, on the bolt handle. You will be able to see what I am talking about better than I can explain it.
    I have only used new, factory loaded ammunition from Winchester and Federal at this time. I became more concerned about this problem when I read that you use Winchester 130grn ballistic silvertip ammunition for test firing in the 270 WSM.
    I have been afraid to use this firearm since my experience with the predator previously mentioned and have resorted to using 300 WSM from a different manufacturer. I am looking forward to getting this Savage in working order so I can use it on a hunt, if not this season, at least the next. I am also looking forward to some range time with it.
    Please inspect this firearm fully and let me know what the issue is. I am anxious to get this resolved, and I am quite disappointed that I will not be able to take a deer this season with my new Savage model 14.
    You may contact me at:............................

Jack

jladams

UPDATE::

Savage is returning my rifle today. They said they replaced the bolt body and polished the chamber but did not offer further explanation.

Apparently there was something wrong with the bolt.

Jack

jladams

Fired it once, with the same Win ammo I had tried before. No more sticky bolt, no stuck cases.

There is a new thing though. The primer now has 2 really shiny marks on the edge, opposite sides and 1 mark is longer than the other. I could not see anyway on the bolt face that could cause this. Curious...

Jac

bigngreen

Sounds like it's going to work out but I thought I could add something. I'm shooting a Savage model 12 in the same chambering, it looks like mine is head space to same measurements. I have had the exact same problem you were having and I concluded that there are two things that contribute to the problem one being Win brass is to small and head spacing is a little long. I have only hand loaded for this rifle and have used Win, Rem and Norma brass. The Rem is the thickest and does not require fire forming, the Win needs to be fire formed if using hot loads or you will get the stuck cases. What happens with the Win is when you fire it first the primer comes back and then the brass comes back under high pressure with speed because the small case has no traction yet on the side wall of the chamber mashing everything back into place giving you the extreme pressure signs and hard bolt. I haven't changed my head spacing yet but have the gauge so I intend to get the head spacing down so the brass doesn't move as much from firing.
    I saw you had some key holing with some 150's, you may not have a fast enough twist to stabilize some 150's, the 140gr bullets are really hard to beat with the 1-11 twist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12