Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where you hunting Monday?

Where you hunting Monday?

So my new boss (one of two) happens to be a deer hunter. He also happens to own a little spread up in Cattawissa that backs up to a big section of state gamelands up in Pa 4-C. So he asks me if I want to come up and hunt with him. So of course he's the boss so naturally I say hell yes. Would not be proper to turn down the boss would it?

Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Re: Where you hunting Monday?

Good luck Ed!

I shattered my heel bone and fractured the one just above that one....gonna have to have surgery in the next week or so after the swelling goes down...The only deer hunting I will get to do is from the back yard........Got 2 yearlings feeding in my garden food plot on a regular basis. Will kill one or both soon. After that I'll hunt the high line that passes through the property. Got pics of a nice little 8 pointer going through at nite mostly, but the rut should be starting up soon.

Not "real" hunting but beats no huntin at all.

Sweet deal Ed, although I could never see myself hunting with my current boss...LOL

Be sure to let me know how it goes.

So will it be the 220f or the Wizzum making the trip with you?
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Think I might take the both Mike. It's the same game lands that we hunted with Justin a few years back. On the bosses property odds of a 100 yard shot are slim. If I hike into the game lands longer shots might be available. May even take my 25-06, it's been like a forgotten child these past 4 or 5 years.
    How bout you? are you hunting locally?

Jim, take care of that foot! No wrestling alligators for a while I guess...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Yeah, i am hunting locally with my 220f....Might possibly slip into the 5b area(where I live) so I can use the new 114 ss American Classic 30-06 i just got. I got 1 doe tag for that area as well, and have a couple hundred acres of game lands about 5 miles from the house..

Gonna try to get my 9yo son a shot with the 220f as well. He had deer in the scope last year but they wouldnt stop running to allow him a shot, so I am hoping he gets a chance this year at one. Hoping to go out for archery tomorrow and also setup my groundblind so we can hunt out of it on Monday if the boy goes.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I thought archery was done for now? Gee, I better check...

ok, were still good for antlerless:

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlerless Only) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Sept. 17-30, and Nov. 14-26. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

MrMajestic

4A here, Just outside of Orbisonia on Jacks Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMajestic
    Good Luck to you, what will you be carrying?

I will be at 2C in the Southeast corner of Somerset Co. on my Son's ground.
    I don't know what I will be carrying yet, most likely my 243 Encore, it is light and handy, maybe I will use the other Encore with the 308 barrel. Maybe I will use the 25-06 AI if I get time to do some loading and shooting with it, it is kinda of a waste though, from my blind the longest shot is about 125 yds.
    DECISIONS - DECISIONS_ DECISIONS. I might put that old 223 McGowen barrel Mike talked me into to use . ;D

Basic Member

I wont. :-\ not until saturday.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Basic Member

Can't hunt anymore but good luck to all you folks and be safe.
    Larry
    Larry E Kauffman Sr

I've decided on the old faithful 25-06 this trip. Plenty of time for the Wizzum and the 220 F later. Got some 110 accubonds loaded up at about 3000FPS give or take. Great for up close or farther out.

Good luck guys and girls and be safe!

kdvarmint

4A here, on Huntingdon Mt., or as you Huntingdon people call it, Williamsburg Mt.

MrMajestic

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMajestic
    Good Luck to you, what will you be carrying?
    Thanks, same to you. A Bulberry stocked T/C Contender rifle with a MGM 20" 1in12" twist .30-30 Ackley Improved barrel shooting hand-loaded(2807 fps avg.) Nosler 125 gr. BT's and looking through a Zeiss 4.5-14X Conquest. I will also be carrying my C&S reworked 3" barreled S&W 19-4 .357 Magnum firing 158 gr. LSWC gas-checked bullets in front of a healthy dose of 2400.

had my 9yo son out sitting in the stand with me yesterday morning. Had a really nice(but young) 6point walk 13yards by us broadside....Got my son all excited seeing it that close and it not even knowing we were there.

After that we went and got the groundblind out of the truck, and set it up at another spot so him and I can sit in it on Monday. My goal this year is to get him a shot at a deer.

So yesterday afternoon I went and got him his very first hunting license. In Pa kids under 12 can get what is called a "Mentored Youth" permit. That enrolls him into the Game Commissions database for life, gives him his own buck tag, turkey tags, and makes him a legal hunter for small game and such. To say that least he was super excited now, especially knowing we saw a total of 5 buck yesterday...LOL

He literally cannot wait...And I think I am more excited than he is. I dont care if I get a shot in the next couple weeks as long as he does. I suspect it is gonna happen Monday...hopefully.
    ~Clint Eastwood

thomae

Going up to friends' hunting camp near Warren, PA.
    Taking my 10FCM Scout in 7.62x39. No scope, peep sights.
    We'll see how this all works out.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    To say that least he was super excited now, especially knowing we saw a total of 5 buck yesterday...LOL
    Man, that little guy has seen more deer in the woods than I have.... lol, You'll have a hunter for life now!

awesome stuff

I count it all as lost

Good luck tomorrow to all of the Pa deer hunters!

Cant wait to read all the reports...
    ~Clint Eastwood

No deer today from my camp!

Saw one doe this morning and that was it. This evening my son and i were in a ground blind and got a text from my cousin telling us that 3 doe and an 8pt had eluded him and was headed straight for us. We waited as long as we could for them to get there, but just ran out of daylight.

Hopefully next time.
    ~Clint Eastwood

kdvarmint

My son and I seen a handful of doe and young, one small 4 point but no shooters.

Saw one doe yesterday, that was it. None taken from our camp. Lots of rapid fire shooting all around us. The doe I saw was small and was running at full speed away from a guy that unloaded a lever gun on her, she ran into my bosses property and held up no hits on her. Later I walked around where I saw her run too and kicked her out. old man at the camp next door finally shot her. Today was miserable rainy, windy. I stayed out till noon and bagged it. Got to wait till saturday now.

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    Saw one doe yesterday, that was it. None taken from our camp. Lots of rapid fire shooting all around us. The doe I saw was small and was running at full speed away from a guy that unloaded a lever gun on her, she ran into my bosses property and held up no hits on her. Later I walked around where I saw her run too and kicked her out. old man at the camp next door finally shot her. Today was miserable rainy, windy. I stayed out till noon and bagged it. Got to wait till saturday now.
    "Rapid Fire" Heard a lot of that myself. In a way it usually leaves me with a feeling of the results you seen. No damage done and deer on the move. Hope for the patient.

Basic Member

hey pdog06,
    Don't forget under the new law for the Mentored Youth program you can transfer 1 anterless tag to him. Also, he can shoot spikes and forkhorns.

I spent opening day in Juniata county at the wife's Grandma's farm. I had my 116 in 7mm RM and my wife had her 110 in 308 win. We saw 20 deer between us but the only buck was out of range. Doe doesn't open until Saturday in 4B.

Quote Originally Posted by whit
    hey pdog06,
    Don't forget under the new law for the Mentored Youth program you can transfer 1 anterless tag to him. Also, he can shoot spikes and forkhorns.
    Where does it say that at in the rule book? That would be really sweet!

I knew about the antler size but what i read said they cannot obtain an antlerless tag, and can shoot antlered deer only(in bold print too i believe).
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

My grandfather had a good shot on an already once shot buck on Monday. .30-06 from about 125yds (in the chest). Knocked it down. It got back up and hightailed it. He waited then tracked it as far as he could follow the trail until it was no more. It had a blood trail leading to where he shot it and from where he shot it. Followed until the blood and tracks dried up. Then went back and followed again. Same result no deer. He did say he heard more shots being fired in the direction the deer went after it sprinted off. Different properties/parking so don't know if someone in another area collected on it or not.

Gives me wishful thinking though. I went to the same spot last year and saw one doe. That was it. He saw quite a few more than that in the area so far. Guess I'll be out Saturday.

I count it all as lost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast