Thread: How heavy can you go

Coyotejunki

How heavy can you go

I have an older action from an 11G for a build.

How heavy of a tube can be put on these actions before they are just too much for the action? If I install a 30" tube with a medium Palma or what ever tube contour Savage uses on their F/TR rifle will that OK, I believe Savage uses the (stronger) single shot Target action with that heavy tube.

Basic Member

Re: How heavy can you go

I have a 28" straight 1" barrel on a LA and was told that anything longer COULD cause flexing in my action. I haven't had any issues with it. If I had it to do over I wouldve went with a 30" in a varmint contour.

barthmonster

I have an F/TR and I believe Savage calls that a 'Full Bull' Contour, at least that's the contour at many barrel makers that matches it..

Basic Member

The stock bull barrels on the F/tr rifles/ target rifles are like 30" long too aren't they? I have a 28" Kreiger bull bbl on my 6brx. but it is nutless, threaded into the action and head spaced like a Remington. No flex there and supurbly accurate.

Basic Member

I have a Dual Port action with a 28" 1.250 straight tube, no problem.

It weights more that a 30" palma tube.

Terry

Coyotejunki

I already have a 28" Pacnor in Savage varmint contour on my single-shot Savage action in 6 BR. It shoots great, but is a factory single shot and I believe it is stronger than the standard repeater/ 11G that I have. I'm curious though to the actions abilities.

I don't want to put a 30" tube on my action if there is going to be an issue. Though I am seriously contemplating just buying the Factory F/TR in 308 and running with it. It's already been engineered, and from what I hear, does very well.

Has anyone here tried bedding the first 6" or so of the barrel past the action on a very long(30") barrel to help reduce action stress? How will this affect accuracy?
    Seems like bedding the chamber area of the barrel in Devcon or something similar would dramatically reduce the leverage applied to the action. Would still have last 24" floating. Would this compromise accuracy?

Btt

Basic Member

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek075/

using a barrel block instead of bedding, - same idea though ( I think )

Agreed, a barrel block would probably be ideal, but a lot more complicated and expensive. This may be one of those "you'll just have to try it" things.

Basic Member

I guess you can always grind out any bedding material if it doesn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by placek59
    I guess you can always grind out any bedding material if it doesn't work...
    -what I was thinking too

Basic Member

So a 32" med Palma may be to much for a 110?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.839435,-92.295630

a 32" medium Palma should be lighter than the factory 30" F/TR barrel...

Basic Member

Yes. but isn't the standard 110 less beefy than the 12/112?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.744668,-92.533821

Not that I'm aware of... the 110 used to be the 'base' model; the 112 was the 'varmint' or 'target' model, but nothing I've ever seen or heard indicated any real physical differences other than maybe fit-n-finish - if that. Same thing with the 10/11/12/14/16 series - the number seems to be more marketing than anything else.

Thats changed somewhat with the newer model 12 Target Action and the 110BA/FCP actions. The actions are the same diameter, but the small ejection port does help make things more rigid and stronger.

Basic Member

Thanks was curious about that.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.744336,-92.533648

Basic Member

good read i never really thought about flexing my action i just put a 30" shilen bull on my model 12 lrpv action should'nt be a problen with it being a large shank and single shot action. but ya'll got me thinking about my mod.12 small shank action i just put a mcgowen 223 barrel on kinda glad i kept it at 26" varmint instead of another 30" bull.

hcpyro13

I have a 28'' bull on my 12vlp I picked up from Savageboy, not any noteable problems with flex yet. I doubt I would try it without a sturdy stock underneath it. I suspect the stock flex would be more of a problem than the action flex.

-Jake

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by DGD6MM
    Shooters hang 30" tubes on Remington repeaters all the time. If a Remington can handle it I know a Savage can and does. This is from experience with both. The Savage repeater I believe is a little stouter then the Remington repeater. I have a Varmit single shot model 12 that I believe would be stronger then the Target Action because of the thickness of steel around the barrel threads.
    Actually no. The model 12 (99% of them - SOME are large shank) is a small shank. The Target/LRPV is a large shank - so, more thread and surface area.

Comparing a model 12/110 single shot to a Target/LRPV single shot/single port....the Target/LRPV would be the winner in the strength department.

dcloco

I machined and installed a 32" straight shank stainless Rock Creek barrel on a Savage Target/LRPV single shot action. Did not use a barrel nut - kept the meat of the barrel.

To help prevent the possibility of bending the receiver, I bedded the barrel in the laminated target in the stock. Also lapped the lugs on this receiver/bolthead combo so that I have perfect alignment with the 338 RUM that lets 300 gr SMK's fly at 2950 fps. 26.5 lb rifle with Nightforce NXS on top. You MUST use a brake to control recoil even with this heavy of a rifle.

Basic Member

Someone tell me...just how would you really know if and how much "action flex" you really have????
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Well... I'm not a machinist or gunsmith, but it seems like if you chucked the barreled action between the headstock and tailstock and got it spinning true, then positioned a dial indicator at the muzzle and slowly, gently backed off the tailstock to where the whole thing was now suspended by just the headstock (action) end, you might be able to see some deflection. Except the less rigid portion of the receiver would probably still be supported by the headstock, unless you clamped on the rear receiver bridge...

Dunno. Just spitballin' it

bed the barrel if your worried.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor