Thread: RatMag 10rd Axis/Edge Mag

R6Pirate

RatMag 10rd Axis/Edge Mag

First off i'd like to start out by saying hello to everyone. I just purchased an axis xp a couple months ago and first things first, i took the thing apart, added the shims, polished the sear and cut the spring in the trigger. I also painted the stock Krylon OD and added a bipod. I went out to shoot it and basically just had fun breaking in the barrel and tossing some rounds through it. I was plinking 1'-2' sq metal targets at around 125 yds with little adjustment on the scope. I thought to myself how nice it would be to have a higher cap mag and after some searching found out that A. besides the plastic base on the mag, it is basically the same mag setup as other Savages and B. Someone already modified the other mags for hi-cap. I spoke with this gentleman, showed him pictures and we ended up agreeing that a hi-cap mag looked very possible. I drop shipped a new mag to him so that he can try and modify it for 10rds and a couple weeks later:

At first it was not seating easily but after a few time removing and re-seating it, it clicked in with little issues or effort. I cycled 10 rds through it no problem. What do you guys think?

bobfortier

Re: RatMag 10rd Axis/Edge Mag

Wow, nice work !!

josebd

what would it cost to do one for a 22-250

pure havoc

I would like to know the same thing myself on the extra capacity mag , what would one cost to have built ?
    of would you have instructions/ direction :) to help some of us handi people out .
    Also what kind of bipod is that on your gun ?

JamesD

We need more info on this guy! How much, where is he and how do we get a hold of him? 5 rounds is for hunting and I'm not hunting with it I'm plinking and it is annoying with only 5 rounds!!!!

James

R6Pirate

The problem with making one yourself is most of us cant weld and don't have the experience he has with the sizing. He's been making HiCap mags for other Savages. He is located in CO and charges $40 plus you have to either ship your mag to him or drop ship a new mag. CTD has them the cheapest from what i have seen and in stock. PM me for his details, i am sure he can give you a quick rundown on how he makes these as well. All it is is a G3 steel mag welded to the metal upper half of our stock mag. He then cuts a window in the plastic piece so that the new mag slides into it. I am not sure how he lined up the tabs on the plastic to our original mag and how he affixes the plastic piece (JB Weld?). Also, the only rounds that this conversion will work with is the 243/260/308 family of rifles in the short actions.

Bi-Pod is Shooter Ridge 6-9" pn:40854

pure havoc

well now im bummed ws looking for this mag hop up in .223
    Thanks for the heads up on the bipod
    PH

R6Pirate

For those of you interested, the person that made this mag for me is forum member Ratmag. If you search members and find him on the list, you can get his email from there. Just let him know you are inquiring from the thread on savage shooters forums.

beakerns

I'd like this guys contact info as well please!

I'm plinking too and the reloads are annoying

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beakerns View Post
    I'm plinking too and the reloads are annoying
    beakerns,
    You can see that the post you replied to is about 4 years old...the info it gives is very outdated.

RatMag was prevented from supplying any extended mags to anyone because of the laws of his state. He may reply to you directly, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.
    He did work with someone else (in a more gun friendly state) to help them work on modifying the Axis mags, and you can find their website here:
    http://www.snydermags.com/

Hope this helps.