Eric, I was curious about the .35 rem in a 336 as I wasnt impressed with the accuracy of the .30-30 which is Minute of deer in most rifles I have shot. The first one I tried was my brothers. I was amazed at how much more accurate it was that the 30-30's I tried. It held right around an inch at 100, open sights (When I had much younger eyes). After that I tried 4 more I managed to weedle out of various people to try and they were the same. Surprised me, even better with the scoped rifles I tried. This was about 35 yrs ago. Excellent for the shorter range effectivness of the old .35. Thats why I recommended it in a Marlin 336. No dought it would be more accurate in a bolt gun but for 150 yd. max shot distance I would use one at, but I would not feel I was deprived in any way with a 336. If he wants a bolt gun in .35 more power to him. I got Savages to barrel to my favorite cartridges as they were not available in current other models. 7mmMauser and .35 Whelen. Been loving those rifles ever since. Even made a .308.
Up here in the heavy woodlands of NH that old .35 will be seen very frequently in the woods. Most old timers I know, that is thier one and only deer and bear rifle.

El Lobo