I picked up the rifle and mounted the scope this week on a one-piece Leupold mount. I had one box of Federal Premium loaded with 225 Nosler Accubonds at an advertised 2800 fps. That being one of the handloads I'm planning, I took the show to the range. The 50 yard range was full, so I did my best to bore sight at 100, checked the initial scope mount, and sent one. First one on target--better than I expected. Fired the remaining rounds with reasonable success, but I only had one sandbag for a rest. I need to take some more gear next time to get her grouped and really dialed in. My impressions:
Like the Savage action; slick feed and positive ejection.
Accutrigger is as advertised. I just used the factory setting, and I may lighten it a bit, but great trigger.
Recoil surprised me--big push, but I'd much rather shoot this .338 than my slug gun. I would say no one wanting a .338 Win Mag should be put off by the recoil. On the other hand, I took my 6.5x55 along for a little practice while the barrel cooled, and it feels like a .22 compared to the .338. I plan to load some more Nosler 225's over IMR 4350, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to the range.