Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
I found that none of my resized brass would chamber. I have been reloading for five years, and I miked the cases and know they are in spec, but no chamber...Did I do something wrong, or will I run into a problem later?
To start, buy some new brass, it is the cheapest thing in building a new gun. The first rule of thumb is new barrel, new brass. Your 5 year old shot God knows how many times and been re-sized brass has probably taken a set to the other chamber, there is probably enough spring back after it comes out of the die to keep it from chambering. Just because brass works in one chamber doesn’t mean that it will work in another and to boot just because your die is set up and works for one chamber doesn’t mean that it will work with another. It is hard to say if even your brass is in speck.
Yes many people have set headspace off of brass, and using 2 pieces of scotch tape as a make shift no-go gauge. What you are looking for is .002 clearances. If you measure scotch tape it will measure somewhere around .002 thick, so it should close on one piece but not on two piece thick. The problem with this method it is possible to force the bolt down and crush the tape, it takes a bit of feel. Electrical tape is way too thick with it measuring around .006-.007 thick. Another method is to go to an auto parts store and get piece of plasti-gage. (Used to measure engine bearing clearance.) They have different ones and the one you want is blue in color measures .000- .004 I think. Anyhow put a piece on the back of your brass close the bolt and measure the thickness with the package it comes with, if you got .002 clearance call it good, if you got more or less, then you have a problem.