Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A NEW MODEL 12 IN 6.5X284 BVSS!

jinx-)

Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A NEW MODEL 12 IN 6.5X284 BVSS!

primers look like Winchester Large Rifle Primers, they a bit soft, using Federal Gold Match or CCI Benchrest probaly would leave less craters, also I would adjust firing pin back by 1/8 turn and get that firing pin hole bushed . From 6mmbr: "When running stout loads, you can get cratering caused by primer flow around the firing pin hole in the bolt face. The reason is a little complicated, but basically the larger the hole, the less hydraulic pressure is required to crater the primer. A limited amount of cratering is normally not a big issue, but you can reduce the problem significantly by having a smith fit a bushing in the firing pin hole. In addition to reduced cratering, bushing the firing pin often produces more consistent ignition. This is a highly recommended procedure that our editors have had done to their own rifles. Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) is an expert at this procedure, and his turnaround time is fast–usually 1-3 days (shop time). Current price for a bushing job, which includes turning the firing pin to .062?, is $60 including return shipping. (Price subject to change.) If you have a factory rifle, a bushed firing pin is the way to go if you are shooting the high-pressure cartridges such as 6PPC, 6BR, 6-6.5×47 and 6.5×47. This is one of the most cost-effective and beneficial upgrades you can do to your factory rifle." http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ll-greg-tannel

jrallo3789

Hello All,
    Just want to keep you guy's up to date, I'm going away till Monday (PA) on a short vacation with my wife. When I return I'll make some loads up and go to range that weekend. Thanks for eveybody's help and comments.
    Jerry

ellobo

From what I see: no flattened primers, then cratering may be excessive firing pin hole. Combine those two and the extractor mark it could be the cartridge is smacking back against the bolt face. Combined with the really gross chatter marks on the shoulders seen in an earlier picture It tells me there is a chamber problem. If you get the same problem with a different brand of ammo, Send it back to Savage with some of the cases with those annular rings on the shoulders of the fired cartridges. I am sure Savage is monitoring these posts.
    El Lobo

jinx-)

I doubt his rifle has chamber issue that I experienced, picture with the shoulders was from my rifle, however it might have chatter at the web ,also it could be headspaced wrong, anyway it can go either way or both....

jrallo3789

Hello All Again, I just got back from Pa. and back in New York (UGH) I may not get to range this weekend cause it may rain all weekend but I'll see. I loved PA. nice farmland, would like to live there and shoot many woodchucks ( ground hog's ). I'll keep all posted as to what's happening. Thanks again. Jerry.

jrallo3789

k

jrallo3789

Hello all, Well I went to the range today with my own hand loads and guess what????? NO TROUBLE!!!!! YES NO TROUBLE NO PROBLEM WITH REMOVING FIRED CASES FROM GUN! I made 5 handloads each 10 total. Five fired cases came from gun org. and five brand new Lapua brass. They were loaded with 142gr SMK's and Lapua 123gr. Powder was H-1000. So I guess the Black Hills ammo was TOO HOT? What do you think? Sorry this took so long to get back. SAVAGE WORKED PERFECT!!! Thanks Jerry

jrallo3789

Hello, Last update, I called Black Hill's and they are having a call taged sent to pick up the ammo. I didn't fire 5 remaining rounds so they can test it. I sent all fired cases for them to look at. They were very helpful on the phone, a stand up company!!! I will let all know when they tell me the results. Jerry

Reply 13, first picture on the post, 8 cases shown.

Bottom row, third case to the right, look at the ejector mark! Very clear on the number 4 stamping on the brass! Cases shown above this one shows the protrusion "shaved"! The ejector mark shows up clearly on a few other cases as well in this picture, and pictures above!

IMO only a hot load will cause this! I have loaded up a few that were hot that looked the same way!

But it sounds like you have the problem under control.

Dennis

PS: Let us know what Black Hills determines.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

jrallo3789

Hello Dennis, I will let you know what Black Hill's answer is. Hope they come for it in the next few days. Thanks Jerry.

jrallo3789

Still waiting for that call tag to show up here! >

jrallo3789

OK, Call tag showed up today (March 29th) will go out March 30th back to Black Hills. STAY TUNED.

jrallo3789

Update, spoke to Carl at Black Hills, they received the ammo and was sending it to an independent lab for testing. He said it may take two more weeks. I'll let everyone know what they said.
    Jerry

jrallo3789

Update. update. Spoke to Karl at Black Hills the other day ask him about ammo ( did they sent it out?),No but they fired some ammo in there text fixture or firearm and told me they had no trouble with it, But they haven't sent the remaining ammo out to the independent lab yet. I'd figure if someone returned ammo that's maybe too hot they would shake there butt alittle. Am I wrong?

ellobo

[quote=jrallo3789 ]
    Update. update. Spoke to Karl at Black Hills the other day ask him about ammo ( did they sent it out?),No but they fired some ammo in there text fixture or firearm and told me they had no trouble with it, But they haven't sent the remaining ammo out to the independent lab yet. I'd figure if someone returned ammo that's maybe too hot they would shake there butt alittle. Am I wrong?

Hell no you arn't wrong. Keep on thier butts about this.

El Lobo

jrallo3789
    Hello All,
    Well I finally heard back from Black Hills about the ammo problem.Here is what they said " We've finally come to a conclusion that it appears to be the brass that we began using last year that is causing the troubles you reported. Apparently the brass is a bit softer than the Norma and the Lapua made brass we've used in the past. This softer brass combined with the pressure curve of the powder we use seems to cause pressure signs and sticking in some weapons. We fired rteturned rounds from you and another person in serveral weapons here at the shop. functioning would be flawless in one and then we'd see hard bolt lift and stickiness in the next. Firing the rounds in a pressure test barrel showed them to be within specs for similar calibers such as the 270Win and 25-06 Remington. Since the 6.5x284 Norma has never been accepted into the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactorers Institute (SAAMI) manual there's no established pressure standards for this round. Ammunition manufactures such as ourselves use similar cartridges as examples to go by."

They sent me a refund check for the ammo and they are sending me Lapua brass for free. Black Hills is a STAND UP COMPANY!!!!
    Hope this helps other's in the future.

Jerome
    P.S. If anyone has a pet load they'd like to share with me, please let me know.

jrallo3789
    Hello, Does anybody have a pet load for this cartridge you'd like to share?

ellobo
    There is no excuse for any maker of rifles to let one get out of the factory with a chamber like the one on that rifle. Do not mess with it but call Savage and get a ticket to return it. I would, in a heartbeat. If they do not replace or reream the chamber I would be surprised. There are several reasons why a chamber would look like that, none of which should have happened. It would not surprise me to find the chamber is off center to the bore as well. That alone could jack up pressures and send a bullet down the bore canted to one side as well as distort it.

El Lobo

jrallo3789
    Quote Originally Posted by ellobo View Post
    There is no excuse for any maker of rifles to let one get out of the factory with a chamber like the one on that rifle. Do not mess with it but call Savage and get a ticket to return it. I would, in a heartbeat. If they do not replace or reream the chamber I would be surprised. There are several reasons why a chamber would look like that, none of which should have happened. It would not surprise me to find the chamber is off center to the bore as well. That alone could jack up pressures and send a bullet down the bore canted to one side as well as distort it.

El Lobo
    That chamber you see is not mine. My chamber is fine it was ammo that I was using. Go to my last post and read what Blacks Hills wrote me.
    Thanks
    Jerry

chiefkerdog
    I have a 6.5x284 f class rifle I shoot 1k matches with and use 51.5 grns of H4831sc with CCI BR primers and Berger 140 VLD Match bullets. Best group yet at 1k is 4.796 during a match and consistently shoots in the 6 " range.

jrallo3789
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefkerdog View Post
    I have a 6.5x284 f class rifle I shoot 1k matches with and use 51.5 grns of H4831sc with CCI BR primers and Berger 140 VLD Match bullets. Best group yet at 1k is 4.796 during a match and consistently shoots in the 6 " range.
    Thank you
    jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12