And I want to make it into a long range steel plate killer. In its current existence its a 30-06 hunting rifle that looks like it has had about a box of ammo through it. Picked it up on a sweet deal and now my feet are on the ground running with this. The plan thus far is to tear it apart swap the barrel for a high end heavy profile barrel of some sort, put a Choate Tactical stock (the better looking one, not the super sniper junk they have) or maybe a manners tactical stock if budget allows, slap a warne 20moa steel base on top, maybe get some sort of detachable mag set up, and a trigger from Rifle basix or Timney. The muzzle will be threaded for a brake or suppressor (if i ever get one). I think I have it pretty much figured out, except for the caliber. I am partial to the old 06 as I have a couple already and I like the cartridge. I was originally leaning toward the 300WinMag, but then remembered the 30-06 ackley improved. I see that people get some gains with this round, but most of the gains are in the realm of over pressure, but it still intrigues me. Would there be a problem with the AI round chambering on the Savage/Stevens action? I know that the shoulders tend to not feed as good as the more streamlined regular 30-06. The main reason I want to do this is so that I can maintain the same powders and bullets (for the most part) between all the guns that I reload 30-06 for. Plus I like the fact that I can lob 200gr bullets a loooong ways and still have enough energy to smack stuff with authority, and it puts bigger holes in paper which is always a good thing IMO. Thoughts? Suggestions? This will be a work in progress for the next few months as I get the funding and such.