Day 1 - We started bit late as we had to re-zero our rifles and headed out to the GMU around 10 to an idea of the terrain so in total darkness we have idea of where the heck we are. We saw a lot of Elk scat, but nothing super fresh. We saw some fresh bear scat. Had to climb 1100 ft with my 40lb backup and 8lb rifle. It was not fun. I hated my backpack. We were out till night fall and walking down was harder for a flatlander like myself.

Day2 - Headed out at 345 am and climbed 1100 ft again but this time with a much lighter backup (not light enough), 28F and 30 miles winds made it quite fun, sat overlooking a meadow and glassed till the Sun came over the peaks. On my hike down to the meadow from the peak, I stopped to takea leak and there somthing moving in the dark timber, could not see bleep, I need night vision next time. It was quite scary, I chambered a round from the magazine really quickly kept the rifle in my hand. At 9 am my partner came over from the other meadow he was watching, we decided to walk the dark timer. After an hour I stopped again to take a leak and I head a shot, I rush over and I see a bunch of mule deer crossing the path we were walking. My hunting partner said he was an Elk, shot and missed. We walked till lunch time and came to the meadow I was watching and waited for others from the group. I took a quick nap and ate some junk. We went out again later in the afternoon and watched different spots and walked the timber. No sign of anything living. The group found an old set of bones from an Elk from last season. We left after sunset.
Day3 - Left at 350 am and saw a few hunder Elk grazing next to the road in the no shot protected park land. &^%$, Before the final turn to the dirt road we saw a big Elk next to the road. Today we parked on the other side so we had to climb 500ft or so. We decided to walk the dark timer and did not see anything for nearly 4 hours, I took a break to find a good log and just glass, got tied of it and started to walk and saw movement to my left, rifle on in firing position standing and safety off I saw LARGE animal heading in my direction. I froze but it made me, I did not move and the animal was behind a clump of 4 pines, I moved 6 inches to the right to take the shot as soon as it clears the pines and I heard voices coming from the same direction. Soon after that, I saw a giant MULE deer jump, skip, away. We walk the other peaks and no sign also.
Day4 - Same as day 3 but we called it quits at lunch as a big snow storm was coming.
Day 5 - Temp dropped to -9 and there was 13 - 24 inches on the ground and we lost power the day before. We went out to check out the tracks, we saw one Elk track, quite a few deer track, couple of bear tracks and one mountain lion track (yikes). Found guts from a deer shot the day before. Left after few hours and headed back down to Colorado Springs.

Definitely going back next year. Here are few items I found out the hardway:
1. Less is more: Next time I am taking a hydration pack with GPS, Bino and dry foods, once I have an animal we can get the gear from the vehicle. Light - need to make sure red light is more than setting as less light is best to condition the eye.
2. Fitness - this was my weakness, climbing 1100 ft requires many months of conditioning.
3. Scouting - Need to go a week early to start scouting everyday.
4. Private land is looking more and more attractive, I am still doing a self hunt and on probably on private land.
5. Getting a Mule deer tag and other species if in season.
6. Side arm - I plan to carry side arm next time I am out there plus bear spray.
7. Load Terrain Map into GPS

I will post some pics later in the week.