This one will probably be an easy one...
My .270 win. (the one I mentioned in a previous post about the lengthy chamber / throat) seems to absolutely, positively love 130 gr. Nosler Bt's with 52gr. of H4831. I can do no wrong with it. It also likes 140 Nosler BT's with a grain lower (51gr.) however, my 30.06 is like an ex-wife. There is very little I can do to make it happy. Short of going thru a ladder test can anyone enlighten me on which bullet weights the '06 is happy with? I've gotten close with 150gr. & 168gr. Nosler BT's (4 to 5 rounds in a 1.25" to 1.50" circle at 100 yds.) but I believe it can do better. Yes, i've already bedded it, torqued screws, fouled the barrel, prayed to the Lord, etc, etc... My shooting technique is pretty good as I typically use 200 yds for zero in and I'm reasonably proficient at it. When I test bullet / powder combos, I bring along the vice & lock her up tight to eliminate the "me" factor.
I found out on Saturday it seems to like 180's also. I've heard people say certain weight bullets shoot better in certain caliber rifles. Would this be an accurate assesment? If yes, what does the '06 like?
Lay it on me....
Thanks in advance.
Frank

P.S. - I keep my Savage rifles in plain Jane stock condition. I like to see how much I can squeeze out of them without any hi dollar parts and a few home brew mods.