Greetings gentlemen (and ladies if applicable).
I've been using this site for about six or seven months for tips & tricks and have to say, my .270 win. & my 30.06 are shooting & working fantastically. I finally decided to sign up to say hello from a confirmed Savage shooter / addict. I just bought a new barrel for my .270 as I have noticed to COL of my ammo is getting longer. In fact, the rounds I made for the existing barrel will stick out of the new barrel by 3/8ths of an inch. I though this to be a little unusual and figured I'd ask those who know. Could it be my existing barrel was cut with a deeper throat? Or, is it most likely worn away. I guestimate the barrel to have about a gazillion rounds fired thru it. It was built in '99. I've owned it for 7 years and it's at the range every weekend & occasionally a weekday. Typical rounds fired in a typical day - approx. 50 to 60. Since I've read every post in this site about barrel changing (including the one from "jinx" which had me laughing so hard I almost peed my drawers), and I aquired all necessary tools, I don't expect much difficulty. When we get to the part about a new scope for long range shooting on my '06, I'll be brimming with stoopid questions. Thanks for all the help I've used from everyome here and if you have 2 cents you want to throw in the hat about my new barrel that the home rolled round stick out of, I'm listening.
Frank