Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
Thomae - only way you will be able to tell is to use an optical sight, mechanical rest (sled), etc. I think you are on the right track but the moly is a waste of time (my opinion only of course). Would also question the partitions at the velocity you are getting (will they open up?) but if you put them in the boiler room I am sure they will work ok. Again - I would suggest bullets made for the 30/30. 2.2" with the sight setup you have is probably as good as you can expect (but who knows until you test it with a scope or better sight setup).
Eric,
Thanks for the reply. My comments on your thoughts:
Optical sight - LER/Scout scope? I'd like to try, but don't own one appropriate for this rifle and don't plan on spending the money any time soon. I may buy a sight insert with a smaller aperture and see what that does, but for now, since I am down to minute of deer out to about 200 yards, I think I am ok.

From my research, I found that Nosler claims the 30 Cal partition is designed to open up starting at about 1800 FPS. Hopefully it will work for me at 2200fps. I'll have over 1800 FPS out to about 200 yards, and over 1000 pounds of energy out to about 250. Historically, my shots have been well under 100 yards. I guess we'll see. (Murphy's law says that when I am carrying the Scout rifle, I'll only see deer at 350 yards or so. ) I guess there is only one way to find out. If it looks bad, I'll switch, but right now I have a lot of them (the partition 150s), so I thought I'd start with what I had before buying even more reloading components. (If SWMBO found out how many bullets and how much brass I have, I'd likely be in serious trouble.

I was thinking about trying out some 30-30 bullets, but after finding out the velocity range of the partitions, I decided to go with them. I can always switch later.

As for the Moly, I am not sure if it is helping, but it is not hurting. The point o fusing it is to allow higher velocity with lower pressure from the relatively small case. Perhaps I'll try the same load with moly free bullets to see how much of a difference it makes and whether or not I get any pressure signs. Again, Moly is inexpensive and I have a lot of it on hand, so I thought, "What the heck?"

The most difficult part, as you well know, is to get the deer to agree to cooperate!

Nice arsenal of classic rifles you have. ;D

Good luck with your deer as well.