Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working a hunting load 30-06 -Second Group-

Nandy

Re: Working a hunting load 30-06 -Second Group-

Thanks, right now im shooting 60.4gr. That is the load that is working good and consistently. I will probably leave it at that since im building a new gun and the 06 will be put away for some time. I did play with the bullet seating from touching the lands and moving away in .02 intervals (or was it .01 intervals) and touching the lands was the best. I also noticed that if I crimp the bullet then I can move the bullet seating a bit back and still have about the same accuracy. I tried several groups using the lee neck sizer and my groups were larger and the speed was slower. I guess that die is not holding the bullets as tight as the fl die set up for neck size only. Or, in second thoughts, maybe since that die wont partially size the body Im having a larger volume in the case, large enough to loose close to 100 fps speed... just a guess...

Anyway, unless I get really bored I am not doing anything else with this load. Saving the money and effort for the next cartridge.

Thanks!!!!

Nandy

This is the typical landscape that I have been hunting the last 4 years.

It is 300 yds to the top of the powerline, 200 to the 2 little pines just in top of the food plot and 100 yds to the begining of the food plot.

And when things line up correctly, this is what I see at the end of the hunt...

The 2 at the left are mine. A button buck and a doe. the doe is pushing 100 lbs, the buck is way smaller. The doe to the right was shot by the son of the club president. he was about 600 yards directly south from me shooting a parallel shooting line. They mostly move on the creek bed that is about 70 yards in front of me. He was at the other end of the creek bed. They were bedded between us and head his way when they got up. The first one crossed in front of him around 8:30, he nailed that one and took a shot at the button buck but missed. Not 10 min later they were crossing in front of me. After being shot at no whistle or bleat call would stop them. I actually only saw the doe but when she slow down to a pace I nailed her at about 100 yards, she jumped, kick, bolted and headed north (right) to the other woods edge. I saw the buck then (I thought it was a doe) but no shot. I sat to wait then from where the hit doe went I saw some flicker and it was the buck heading west paralleling the power line. I pulled the gun and he made a mistake to stop to look back for the downed doe. That was my chance but I misjudge the distance and shot for 200 yds instead of the 150 he was... Still dropped on its track, not a single step...

The part that I will remember the most is the fact that for the first time I ever I did not crack the scope up. I always do that after I see the deer in the cross hairs. This let me see both deer get hit thru the scope. I never seen them, most of the times im cracked up and I loose sight after the muzzle blast. The doe was 30 yds into the woods in the briars thicket (of course). If you knew where to look you could see the buck laying down at the left right on the tree line where he made the mistake to stop.

Them loads did the trick, thanks for everyones help.

Basic Member

Some good eating in the back of that side-by side. I live in Mississippi, and we have alot of very similar landscape to your photo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12