Thread: DNZ Freedom Reaper help!!

laffinz

DNZ Freedom Reaper help!!

I have a Savage model 111. I'm putting a 52mm scope on it and want to use the DNZ Freedom Reaper one piece ring. http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php...roducts_id=738

Will I have enough clearance for a 52mm scope with this setup? Even if I get a heavy barrel down the road?? Thanks guys

airaddict

Re: DNZ Freedom Reaper help!!

Just wondering why u want the tactical version?

Ive only put the dnz mounts on all my savages but the regular game reaper ones and they r PLENTY strong and they r cheaper......around $50. Ive put the med mount w a mag contour barrel and 44mm bell and still had room to spare. If u want a fatter barrel i would get the high mount to also give u room for lens covers if u want them.

Brian

janizary

I have DNZ Game Reaper mounts on both of my Model 10PC carbines (.308 and .223). I use the High, 30mm mount (for short action in my case). With a 50mm Millett TRS1/TRS2 scope I have about 3mm of clearance between the bell and the BBL (however, that includes a over-the-bell flip up objective cover, so probably another 2mm clearance without that in place). That said, I have my scope slid WAY back in the rings for my eye relief. Slid forward a bit and more clearance would be had given the BBL contour.

The high, long-action DNZ mount should work without a hitch on the regular-contour BBL. Heavier BBL fitmet will depend on the thickness of the bell, the contour of the BBL (in combination with your scope placement in the rings). I would say 'yes' with the caveat of what type of contour you get on your BBL upgrade.

I'll also second the question the need for tactical rings. The standard Game Reaper grips like a mad gorrilla. The scope of my 308 is locked in place like the gold at Fort Knox. Hundreds of rounds of 150 and 180 OE ammo and 190+ gr handloads and its rock solid. I don't mention the 223 for obvious reasons If you really "want" the tactical rings, by all means, have at it. That said, you really don't "need" them (well, unless you plan to use your scope as a climbing mount for repelling cliffs and such).

r29l20

Let's not answer his question, let's all talk him into what we use. ???

airaddict

But we have answered his question to the best of our ability. We both gave him our personal experiences w dnz mounts and the size of bell and barrel contour we used w those mounts. What else do u want?

Should i go out and buy a tactical dnz mount and 52mm scope and several contours of barrels so i can tell him for sure what will work and what wont?!?

He asked about dnz mounts so we gave the info we can to assist him in making a decision that will best fit the componants he wants to use.

Brian

Basic Member

medium DNZ mounts wont work on my 50mm Vortex but I have a heavy barrel.

r29l20

I didn't mean to tick you off. But he is, asking about the freedom DNZ. If that's what he wants, that's up to him.

janizary

laffinz, to clarify:

Game Reaper and Freedom Reaper 1PC mounts have the same ring heights for High rings. Both the Freedom Reaper tactical mount and the Game Reaper mounts measure from the top of receiver to the centerline of the scope tube is 1.170" (for 30mm 'high' rings). The different being in the width of the base/rings. Therefore, for fitment considerations, they can be used for direct comparison. Bell diameter and BBL contour become your variables.

Take or leave my/our suggestions as you will.

r29l20, I'm not offended. Just trying to give the closest comparison for the fitment the users is inquiring about.

r29l20

Janizary, now that's what he was looking for. Thanks pard. :)

Basic Member

I needed to change from the medium to the tall dnz mounts to put a 50mm objective on a magnum contour barrel, there is enough room to to use the scope caps as well and just a tad more. So if it's a true 52, you sould have room depending upon how thick the bell itself is.