My son picked up a piece of 5.7x28mm brass at the range the other day, and when we got it home I lined it up with a piece of 22 Hornet brass for a comparison:

( Click image to see it bigger )

Less case capacity perhaps, ( a water test would tell ) but it operates at a higher pressure.

I wonder how it stacks up to the Hornet - and when will the 17 caliber wildcat, which will look like a scaled-down .223 Winchester show up?

My guess is that the modern case will take more reloads before giving out, and it may be slightly more efficient than the Hornet.

If the 5.7x28 factory loads are not cheaper than 22 Hornet ammo already, they soon will be as this round is popular with the black gun shooters - who go through a lot of ammo.

You don't run across a lot of free Hornet brass, but you can obtain a lifetime supply of good 5.7x28 brass just by bending over and picking it up at the range. The stuff with the three or four-point military primer crimp intact are all once-fired brass.

Besides resizing, you'll need to buy a little tool to ream out the primer pockets, removing the crimp. Not to worry though, as the little tool will soon pay for itself. - After that, it's all gravy.

The Savage model 25 in 5.7x28mm is -

Can somebody give us a range report, or a reference to a review on the Savage model 25 in 5.7x28 ?