Thread: 300 wsm out of a stevens 200 ????

M.O.A.

300 wsm out of a stevens 200 ????

i was just wondering if it can be done with a short action 200 or not and if so what all would i need and what cal to start with?

Basic Member

Re: 300 wsm out of a stevens 200 ????

Yep you can do it. Not sure cal is going to matter a whole lot. You'll need to replace the bolt head no matter what as you'll need a magnum bolt head if you use a short action. Of course you could build it off a long action in a mag cal and this should work just fine. Might even give you a little extra room in the mag to seat those bullets out a little longer. Is this a newer centerfeed model you are working with? You'll also have to order a barrel since I doubt you'll find a small shank in 300wsm off the shelf. I'm sure others will chime in before long with lots more info. Several guys have gone down this road. I looked at doing the same thing for a while until I came across a 300wsm used in a shop with accutrigger that looked like it had never been shot for $290.

You'll also need a short action magnum firing pin.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

M.O.A.

so bolt head, firing pin, barrel, and do i have to get the mag for the 300wsm as well?

i plan on using a shaw 26" mag contor barrel,and timney trigger

Basic Member

You would have to change the mag depending on the model stephens you get. If you get a stephens in a magnum caliber you might not have to change the mag.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

M.O.A.

if i build one it will be on a short action so i think ill have to get the mag thank youall

Basic Member

Just did one of these myself on a model 10 tactical that started life as a 308 barrel that I had rechambered to 300 WSM. Do yourself a favor and call Sharp Shooter Supply. They will send you everything you need (push feed ultra mag bolt head and firing pin) for very little money.
    John

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.