OK - I know I'm setting myself up for this one but when I focus on something my mind seems to think it to death! As you know from previous posts, I'm starting a bedding job - hopefully - tonight. Anyway, I got to thinking - since we want our rifles free floated and no stress induced in the action at all, maybe there's a better way.

Suppose instead of bedding compound that the action is cradled in, suppose it's on a dense foam. The action screws are lightly torques down to hold the action "firmly" against the foam padding, and are cradled in their own little foam tubes, the rear of the recoil lug is tight against the stock (maybe this is where bedding is used to ensure uniform contact between the rear of the lug and the stock) but the action sits on the foam. The barrel nut free floats, as does the DBM if there is one - maybe line the inletting with the foam too.

The way I envision it, there is absolutely zero stress placed on the receiver now. The recoil lug adsorbs the recoil, the "settles" back into position in the foam cradle. The action screws only serve to hold the action in place and keep it from jumping and torquing.

Does the concept work? I was thinking of possibly developing a foam gasket to fit below the action and possibly try it out. What say yee?