Thread: How many times before you need to trim brass .270 and .223

Basic Member

How many times before you need to trim brass .270 and .223

Just started reloading last week, and got a chance to shoot my handloads for the first time today with very pleasing results. i am starting out for my .270 and .223. How many times do you guys shoot brass before it has to be trimmed, or before you toss it? I'm a complete newb and don't have a clue.

thanks

Basic Member

Re: How many times before you need to trim brass .270 and .223

I measure and trim my brass before reloading it everytime. .270 gets trimmed to 2.530 and .223 to 1.750. I know some guys will measure their .223 brass and trim it when it gets to 1.755, 1.760 is max length. How often/much the brass needs to be trimmed also depends on how hot a load your using. I also never mix my brass all together. I keep my brass in 20rd sets and track how many times I've trimmed and reloaded them. I'll normally toss the brass when it hits 8 reloads or defect pops up in one of the cases.

82boy

I usually trim after 4 firings.

damilkman40

Trimming is based on a number of factors. One being the brand of brass. Another is whether you are always "full length" resizing or only "neck sizing". If your using a auto loading gun, you will need to FL your brass every time(so it will chamber). If your shooting a "bolt action" type gun, you case first FL resize, shoot through your particular gun, and then only neck size your brass. Remember that if you neck size, "only use that particular brass in THAT particular gun", and NO other! It has be formed to fit your guns chamber. You'll need a good pair of dial calipers too! Take your time and double check all your lengths and measurements. I would trim all the brass to your reloading manual specs. Deburr inside and outside of case and(depending on brass)if your "full length" resizing you should expect a trim around 4-5(stretches brass). Using a neck die, around 15-20(maybe never) as you only shrinking just the neck portion on the brass and not the whole body of the brass.

bill2260

I had a neighbor that was shooting a 264 win mag at a deer around 20 years ago. Gun blew up in his face. Shooting reloads and neck broke loose and started down the barrell same time as bullet. That will not work. Case was loaded too many times was the cause as determined by winchester.

I load 3 times and throw the brass away. That is when I would start to see stretching marks and sometimes cracks around the head. Better safe then sorry. Currently I shoot 25.06, 7mm mag and just started shooting 22 250 that I haven't reloaded for yet. Better safe than sorry. Bill

Basic Member

THAT'S NOT COOL! thanks for the tips guys!