My story with savage started exactly one year ago when i ordered a 93r17 just because I thought the .17hmr was a cool round and the Savage was a good bargain. I had never shot a rifle with a "good" trigger and after getting used to the accutrigger was immediatley surprised at the little groups I could shoot with it compared to the other rifles I own. Over the next couple of months I added a mark II in .17hm2, a model 25 lightweight classic in .223, and a plain jane model 110 in .270 to replace my Ruger Mark II .270 deer rifle. All of these guns shoot well, but I never could get the .270 to shoot exactly like I thought it could, or like alot of the guns on here will shoot. After just a few shots it would get really hot and not group at all. After much reading and studying on this site...(and keep in mind I am an absolute and complete amateur and have never even changed out the stock on a gun prior to this build) I decided to try my hand at a custom project. I really wanted to keep the rifle a hunting rifle, but also be able shoot good groups and maybe some pretty long range while keeping a wood classic style look. I also borrowed some handloading equip and loaded up some rounds which I tried out today, (also my first try at handloading). Here is what I have done to the rifle, and below are some pics of it and the .295" group I shot today. Big thanks to everyone on this site that are always eager to help with questions and problems. No way possible that I would have ever thought about trying anything like this without this website!!

Started life as a Stock model 110 in .270 with a wood stock and blind magazine.

Purchased a mag conversion kit from SSS to change the blind mag to a detachable box mag.

Purchased a classic style walnut stock from Numrich and did some inletting to make the bolt release, etc. fit and function in the stock.

Bedded the action with ProBed 2000 (First time to try to bed a rifle)

Purchased Heavy magnum Contour Stainless 24" Barrel from Numrich and New SS Barrell nut (the other barrel nut is still stuck on the factory barrel.)
It has a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 -14 x 40 BDC scope.

Today I got her together for the first time and went to shoot. I loaded up a bunch of 130 grain Nosler BT's on top of imr4350. After 15 rounds break in with various rounds, I started working through the different powder charge handloads. The best group came from 54.5 grains. I only had 3 rounds loaded at this charge, so I will load up 20 or so more and shoot some more groups maybe tomorrow afternoon or later this week to see if this group is repeatable. I imagine it is becase some of the other charges produced 1/2 to 5/8inch groups . Below are the pics of the finished rifle, and the group I shot today that measures .295! my best group I've ever shot, and it was amazingly with a rifle I built myself! The satisfaction is amazing.

[img width=600 height=400]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4206.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=400]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4208.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=400]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4203.jpg[/img]