Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***LADDER TEST DONE NOW WHAT***

Basic Member

***LADDER TEST DONE NOW WHAT***

HERE IS THE LADDER TEST I DID TODAY @ 100 YARDS(ALL I COULD SHOOT SINCE 200 WAS DOWN). COULD USE A LITTLE HELP TRANSLATING IT. I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND THE ALL OF THE 49 GRAINS JUST ODD. I HAD GOOD REST IN THE LEAD SLED AND TOOK MY TIME. I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT MY SHOOTING WAS GOOD NEVER HAD A SHOT THAT FELT BAD. THE WIND WAS GUSTING THE WEATHER SAID 10 BUT FELT HARDER.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0675.jpg[/img]

Re: ***LADDER TEST DONE NOW WHAT***

I'm far from being an expert at interpreting ladders, but it looks like you have a pretty good node at 50-51 grains.

It's interesting at the POI change between 49.7g and 50.0g.

How was the brass at the upper end loads? Flattened primers or sticky bolt? Were you letting the barrel cool?

I'd do it again at 200y with just the upper end loads. Say from 49.5g and up until you get pressure signs.

Since I a hunting guy, I really like it when the hotter loads give the best groups.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Team Savage

Looks to me like 47 to 48.9 looks good as well as 50 to 51 but if it was me, I would work with the lower charge. That way you'll have a little wiggle room if it starts getting hot. Work with the tightest group. Make only "one" change at a time. Seating depth, powder charge. See if you can tighten those groups up.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

Geargrinder and Mikie have given you a good starting point. About the only thing i can add is on a ladder you are really only looking at vertical unless you are trying to adjust for the wind and then you can mess up the test by holding off or changing scope settings. In other words don't worry too much about the bullet drift to start with and just work with the loads that show the least vertical. Some of the horizontal could be wind and some could be seating depth. When everything is nice and still and you are doing your part with a good load seating depth will correct horizontal MOST of the time.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member

thanks. I am looking for a hunting load and what yall are saying is just what i thought.

Cover Dog

Basic Member

as far as seeing signs of pressure problems there wasn't any. nosler says 50 grains is max.

Not that I recommend this to anyone, but I like to explore loads over listed max. I prefer to have a feeling of what the max load is and find the next lower accuracy node.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

I dont either thats whY went up very slow looking for any reason to stop. none were given. Iam not going any futher because the 50.7 and 51 look really good.

Team Savage

IMHO, the "disadvantage" of building loads at or real close to max is if you build loads at say 50* then the weather jumps to 90*, you can run into pressure problems. Off the bench you could probably deal with it but in a hunting situation, that could spell trouble. Find your upper accuracy node and know where it is then find your lower node and work it till you can't get anymore out of it.

Shoot the same test at 200 yards and see if you get similar results. You may just find that at farther distances a different charge will shine. If you find that the 47-49 and the 50-51 are still your best performers then you can now concentrate on just those ranges.

Just remember you only fired 1 shot from each charge, so you really dont know how well that charge will group till you try it. But that is where your seating depth will help you tighten that up.

It just seems weird it would climb the ladder like that and then the 50-51 gr charge would be so much lower vertically then the 49.7gr charge.

I would definately be shooting some groups with that 50-51 range though just to see how they group.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Thanks, guys. this is my deer round and it was 87 in the shade alot hotter in the direct sun Iam going to keep shooting this during the summerwith the temps reaching 100 on a daily basis. I will continue to look for pressure signs. BUT, it being a deer round it will be fired during the winter and shouldnt cause pressure problems right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie
    IMHO, the "disadvantage" of building loads at or real close to max is if you build loads at say 50* then the weather jumps to 90*, you can run into pressure problems. Off the bench you could probably deal with it but in a hunting situation, that could spell trouble. Find your upper accuracy node and know where it is then find your lower node and work it till you can't get anymore out of it.
    His target said it was 87* during his test. I don't know where he lives or what he is hunting but I assumed it would be cooler than that when hunting.

Basic Member

HOW MANY OF YALL CRIMP?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwa
    HOW MANY OF YALL CRIMP?
    Only for auto loaders.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Team Savage

I don't even crimp for my M1A, Mini 14 or my AR. But, I might add, I resize for all my gas guns "full length" every time so there's lots of neck tension. Never had a problem except runnung out of loaded ammo. ::)

Basic Member

OK THATS WHAT I THOUGHT.

Ditto on crimp. I don't do it for my ARs and get 1" groups with a 16" carbine. The rounds feed and function just fine.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

racinready300ex

It may not hurt to play with crimp, I know bechrest shooters that have seen improvment with some of there guns by crimping.

P.S. I don't crimp

Basic Member

i use the lee factory crimp die but only crimp enough to hold the bullet in both my ar and bolt guess i could skip it for the bolt and see what it does thanks for getting me thinking some.

Basic Member

I didnt know if yall had a problem with hunting bullets CAOL changing while hunting.. Since I didnt see any pressure signs at 51 didnt want to add pressure by crimping if I didnt have to.

Basic Member

reshoot the ladder same thing. couldnt the rl19 and the nos 115 bal tips to group well. I switch to the 117 grain hronadys and h4831sc and some rl22.

I also went ahead and set the bullet .005 into the rifling on all. these what i got. I had a 5-7 mph wind 3-9 oclock. the shots were off the bipod. i want to reshoot a couple of them off the lead sled again to make sure i choose the right ones to continue with. which three should I use?

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0709.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0707.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0708.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0710.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0711.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0712.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

Load 3 to 5 rounds each. Start at 52.0 and go .1 step up at a time. All the way up to 53.0.
    Don't change anything else till you get that done. Same seating depth, powder,etc.
    Report back. Looking pretty good so far. ;D

Basic Member

with the reloader 22 or the h4831sc?

Team Savage

I'd work with the 4831 but the RL 22 looks good also so do both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast