Ok... Here is How I see things with the savage Edge/Axis. They needed to update there intro rifle to equal that with the design of the younger crowd. Stock "looks cool", as compared to the old grey of the Steven's. Almost any deal under 400 bucks camo'd up with a "decent" scope provides the ability for lower end customers to purchase a new rifle, while they mow lawns in high school. And for there kid without breaking there banks, they have the "youth" model. Cheaper production cost from all actions being equal in size, and will take the most common calibers (for prices of ammo really aren't going back to what they were when I was beginning). They have to be extremely accurate and somewhat durable, because kids or possibly younger guys like me that are between 18-25, are going to be hard on there rifles. They have to learn to be accurate with a cheap rifle, only then does it make sense to pay the money for a much better rifle, like my Stevens .223 improved with a Varmint Barrel , to a 7mm Mag in American Classic. I am a "romantic" rifle lover of the Pre-64 Winchester, as my father let me shoot his 22-250 when I was younger. But, if I had to start today, I would still buy the Edge/ Axis. It had problems in the beginning as all new series of rifles do. It is actually the best to start with because it still has the barrel nut.