I have been very happy with my Nitrex (aka weaver) TR 1. Natchez still has some on close-out:

http://www.natchezss.com/optics.cfm?...20&startRow=51

Edited to add some thoughts..

When I was looking for a scope I had just missed the excellent close out deals for the vortex vipers at ~$249. While there are still deals out there on some of the non-AO models I wanted to AO to correct parallax when shooting targets from a bench. I looked long and hard at the crossfire scopes. The one thing that held me back is the constant reports that I see online about the scopes not holding zero. Apparently there was an issue where the tension on the turrets were not tight enough and the issue was supposed to be resolved (dec 2010) but I still see people report the same problem with purchases made in 2011.

While Vortex is still on my radar for a Viper I decided to pass on the Crossfire line.

I looked very closely are the Nikons and almost went for the midway special for $300 but it was just a little bit too far outside my budget at the time. I also considered the Bushnell 3200 for ~$300 but I had the same problem (just over budget).

I then found these nitrex scopes that were being dumped due to the line being eliminated. Nitrex is owned by ATK (Parent company of Federal, CCI, and countless others) and this was their foray into optics. They then bought out weaver and decided to stick with the weaver name due to name recognition. The Nitrex TR Ones are Japanese scopes at Chinese prices (thanks to the closeout). I went with the 6-20x50 model for $199. It is a simple, no frills basic scope with good optics and nice target style turrets. The only major drawback that I have found is the limited internal travel. It's only 30 moa which will present a problem if you want to shoot beyond 500 yards. Inside 500 its fine and you can stretch it out with a 20 moa rail.. although I think it will still come up short for 1000 yards.