Short review: the scope mount holes in my action were off by .018". I sent it back to Savage after getting some opinions and trying a lot of things to make it work (35mm scope tube, please no more suggestions of zee signature rings unless you know where to score some 35mm ones).

New information: Savage says it was barreled wrong and that they rebarrelled it and sent it back with a target showing a .5" 3 shot group (168g Sierra Match Kings). I crowned my barrel with a hand tool. The barrel that came back is also crowned (not just recessed squarely). I'll take them at their word that they rebarreled it despite this curiosity. Although savage insists that all they did was rebarrel the action, the action holes are now straight. They were visibly off before.

I'm hoping it shoots amazingly well and the optics are clear now that I'm not using so much windage adjustment to get POA and POI matched up. Just one problem....

When I got the rifle back home from smith, it wouldn't fire. The trigger safety will move just a little bit and it release something but it never gets all the way back so that you can actually pull the trigger. The safety will not move. The rifle was sent to Savage as a barreled action with trigger assembly. So it was disassembled and re-assembled by a local smith who works on high end equipment. This part is not on Savage if I can tie the malfunction to some oddity of how the re-assembly process.

Any ideas?