PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor question

Pages : [1] 2

redraven72
03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
If I attach a suppressor to my savage how will it affect my long distance accuracy? By long distance I am talking 500-1000 yards on my .308 win.

Thanks

dcloco
03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Depends on how much FPS the quieter removes from the speed of the bullet in the suppressing process.

Generally, quieter the suppressor is, more FPS you lose.

Now...on the OTHER hand...many barrels respond favorably just by having the added weight of the quieter on the end of the barrel. Many reasons for this, but the bottom line, barrel resonance dampening.

nuclabuyer
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Also depends on quality of suppressor. From what I have seen over on snipershide, they act sort of like a barrel. Every once in a while you get one that wont shoot.

3DHUSKER
03-29-2011, 11:17 PM
So where do I find out what it takes to get a suppressor here in Missouri.

bootsmcguire
03-30-2011, 12:10 AM
www.awcsystech.com (http://www.awcsystech.com)

This is the website for AWC Suppressors. They have a pretty good section on how to obtain. The first thing is finding a dealer in your area and they can guide you through it I would imagine. I wish I could get one, but stupid me I live in Iowa where we can't get them. 9 out of 50 states that don't allow and Iowa had to be one. AAARRGGGHHHH!

3DHUSKER
03-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks

redraven72
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
So then the accuracy is affected by the suppressor. Correct?

nuclabuyer
03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
It can be. The only place I have done much reading about suppressors is Snipershide, my suppressor should be here in late april early may so I dont have any 1st hand experiance yet. But from what I have read some people say their accuracy improve, some say it got worse, some say it stayed the same. I think that it depends on the load. Barrel harmonics will be changed, and the load will say whether or not the accuracy get better or worse. I think that you should be able to tweak on the load alittle and find a new one that is as good as it was or better.

redraven72
04-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Thanks I guess I will just have to wait and see. :)

Blue Avenger
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM

This is the website for AWC Suppressors. They have a pretty good section on how to obtain. The first thing is finding a dealer in your area and they can guide you through it I would imagine. I wish I could get one, but stupid me I live in Iowa where we can't get them. 9 out of 50 states that don't allow and Iowa had to be one. AAARRGGGHHHH!
Minnesota is another :( would love a fat barrel 10-22

Maxxwell86
04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Check out the forums at "silencer Talk" there are threads that discuss the POI changes that members have experienced with different calibers and model of suppressors

Handloader
04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Depends on how much FPS the quieter removes from the speed of the bullet in the suppressing process.

Generally, quieter the suppressor is, more FPS you lose.

Now...on the OTHER hand...many barrels respond favorably just by having the added weight of the quieter on the end of the barrel. Many reasons for this, but the bottom line, barrel resonance dampening.

This is 100% wrong......
That is like saying a muzzle brake slows down a bullet. The bullet reaches max velocity in the barrel, a suppressor does not alter the velocity at all. What I THINK this poster is TRYING to say is that subsonic loads are much more quiet than trans/supersonic loads. The internal volume of the can (to contain as much of the expansion of the gas as possible), and baffle design has the greatest impact on overall sound reduction.
I shoot to a mile suppressed with a 7mm WSM. Velocity remains unchanged with or without the "can." That said, point of impact is altered by the change in barrel harmonics when I screw on the suppressor. I just change my zero with the suppressor on by resetting my scope turret knobs.

Some manufactures make integral suppressors that are unique to an individual firearm, and "port the barrel" closer to the action to bleed off gas. This process slows a bullet down to subsonic velocities. The subsonic rounds are "Hollywood-quiet," but destabilize very quickly. The integrals that I shoot are only good to 300yards. I prefer a screw on suppressor that I can move from host weapon to host weapon. Do not expect Hollywood quiet with supersonic ammunition. That supersonic CRACK will sound like an unsuppressed 22LR.

brtelec
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I have a YHM suppressor on my .308 and I find that there is no difference in accuracy or muzzle velocity. The biggest difference I have noticed is felt recoil.

sinman
04-05-2011, 11:26 AM

South Dakota loves them, we can even hunt with them.

viper9696
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM

South Dakota loves them, we can even hunt with them.

thats the way it should be,,you have to have a muffler on your car!!!!

snipecatcher
04-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I've had 3 baffle strikes for various reasons since I've had my can. Make sure you get your barrel threaded by a reputable machinist. You will find that there is not much hard science on bullet stability if you try to shoot subsonic rounds. Lots of speculation and "voodoo." Stick with a well threaded rifle shooting supersonic rounds and you should be ok. It will sound about like a .22 lr. Whether or not you consider that hearing safe without ear protection is up to you.
-Dan

redraven72
04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I am in the process of getting my first can now just waiting on paperwork. Thanks again. ;D

3DHUSKER
11-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Update

Bought a TBAC 30p-1 and had my weapon threaded by GAP. I have about another month before I get my stamp.

Is there any others in Missouri on this site with cans?

darkker
11-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Handloader has it correct.
All non-integral suppressors will NOT slow a rifle round down any.
MOST of them have some POI shift. However if the threading was done properly(read square to the bore), MOST of them have a positive impact on accuracy. They tend to act like the worlds best muzzle crown.

Txhillbilly
11-12-2011, 03:32 AM
I just set up a NFA Trust this week,and will be buying several suppressors in different calibers.I'm also looking into making my own for my 458 SOCOM,since the ones on the market are either way overpriced or will only handle subsonic ammo.
I have no interest in shooting hogs with a 500gr bullet,when the 300gr works just fine.