PDA

View Full Version : Just a tip learned the hard way

Pages : [1] 2

outlawkyote
10-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Oil does not make a very good releasing agent when using JBs weld to bed an action. I wonder why the instructions recomend cleaning all the oil off the material before JB welding it?

SO>>>> Looks like that barrel is going to stay on that rifle until I shoot it out and then I'll apply heat to the chamber area until it pops loose, I'll hapily damage a barrel before damaging my McMillan stock. Im just glad I was only bedding the chamber area of the barrel and not the whole action. Its a perfect example of a "glue in" . LOL

It sure does shoot nice like it is right now though.I wonder what floating the action would have done with the barrel glued in?

dolomite_supafly
10-23-2009, 06:26 AM
I would use something other than JB Weld to do your bedding next time. JB Weld tends to run into areas it is supposed to and is brittle once it dries completely. I use Devcon Steel Putty, it is a thick putty that stays where you put it. Marinetex is also a good one from what I have been told but I personally have never used it. Devcon comes in "individual" use packages and are about the same price as JB Weld, you just have to find a place that sells them. They can be bought online in 1 pound containers as well as individual packages. The first 1 pound container I bought lasted through at least 6 bedding jobs could have done more but I always make more than what I think I will need.

As far as getting the action out of the stock her is what I do when I have one that seems stuck. I will loosen the action screws. Take a rubber mallet and smack the top of the receiver. If that doesn't work then I hold the gun by the muzzle and smack the barrel about midway between the muzzle and the stock using harmonics to hopefully release it. I have had them "pop" out and sound almost as loud as a 22 when they release. I never hit the stock, always the action or barrel.

If all else fails I put everythig in either a freezer or outside in the cold weather for a few hours then do what I said above. It has always come apart when frozen. And again always hit the barrel or actin and not the stock.

Next time use Kiwi clear polish as a release agent, works great every time.

Hope this helps
Dolomite

outlawkyote
10-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Ive tried both Marine Tex and Devcon plastic putty and Ive even used Devcon Aluminum putty (which costs about $50 for a small tub; 10 years ago) but Ive grown to like JBs weld best and I have no trouble finding it. Ive been using it for about 8 years now with great results (around 20 rifles bedded with it so far).

Yeah, I already tried the cold weather attempt and it didnt work (7 degrees). Usually use Johnsons paste wax but forgot it at home when I did this job. Pam wasnt that great either. Havent tried the Kiwi yet but have some of that at home too. Didnt figure 3" of JBs weld would hold this well. Aint gonna beat my action up trying to get it out, would rather heat the barrel (barrels are cheap). My actions been timed n trued, aint gonna be beating on it at all. The stock was + or - $450 and a 4 month wait so, the barrel will get some heat till the JBs breaks loose.

BrentWin
10-23-2009, 07:59 AM
You might try shooting it for 20-30 rounds with the action screws a half turn loose. Worked for me with one of my unintentional glue ins.

jlcpls
10-23-2009, 08:11 AM
You might try shooting it for 20-30 rounds with the action screws a half turn loose. Worked for me with one of my unintentional glue ins.

glue ins?

More than one?

Brent, Brent, Brent,

You send them to school, you buy their books, and they still eat the teacher........ ::)

outlawkyote
10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah, it might break itself loose while shooting it. Might break itself loose just taking it in and out of the cold too. I aint worried bout it, just figured oil would make a decent releasing agent in a pinch is all. I guess not. We have some perty good penetrating oil here too, maybe I shoulda tried that?
I guess if I woulda just remembered to grab my paste wax I wouldnt of had to experiment.

Glue-ins happen more than one cares to admit.

Eric in NC
10-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I have had good luck with Pam Olive Oil Spray. That being said, the one bad glue in I had was cured with an over-night stay in the deep freeze followed by a few whacks with the dead blow (scope removed of course!).

Blue Avenger
10-23-2009, 09:19 AM
LOL even with proper release agents. all it takes sometimes is a little to much squished where it don't belong. :(

jlcpls
10-23-2009, 09:21 AM
I have had good luck with Pam Olive Oil Spray.

Me too. I did not have good luck when my wife was looking for the Pam Olive Oil Spray and found none.

For some reason, the Pam Professional didn't work as well. My wife has plenty of that left.

bsekf
10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Outlawyote, check this out http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek075.html block around chamber holds it to the stock and both ends hang out in space.

I use JB Weld and Olive oil Pam and/or grease, never had one hang up and I remove the trigger assemble and fill all the holes with putty. I use the Dermal rather than worrying about bedding compound getting into the trigger stuff.

I would try loosing the action screws a half turn, use the freezer for 12 hours and then shoot it cold. I have seen some pictures of a barrel and action during firing. Amazing how they squirm around.

Bill

tbartley
10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Outlawkyote...it'll eventually break free. Your shooting it super cold with action screws loose will probably pop it. I'm with ya on not messing up the action or stock...too much $$$$$. Since I started with these wonderful project rifles, I've always taken off the trigger assembly and jammed all the necessary places with Play-Doh and then used Walmart's Olive Oil spray for the release agent. My first bedding job I used Kiwi neutral and it worked okay, but I like the spray oil better. I use JB quick sometimes and it doesn't tend to ooze into the places you don't want it to go, but ya better be ready to set your action shortly after mixing the Qwik.

Good luck with your rifle and let us know your final procedure for the "ungluing". :)

tyronne

BillPa
10-23-2009, 12:06 PM
An easy way, the "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outer"
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ajosi9.jpg

Basically a piece of hardwood or plywood block notched just enough to clear the receiver ring and rest on the edge of the stock and a small C clamp. Install it, put some pressure on the clamp the toss it in a freezer for a day. As soon as the metal contracts the clamp tension will pull it free.

Its also works well on a non glue job. Instead of bang'n, rock'n and pull'n, a little tension on the clamp and maybe a light upward bump on the barrel they pop loose, the tool pulls the lug straight up and out.

Bill

dcloco
10-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Carnuba car wax works the best.......

outlawkyote
10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
An easy way, the "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outer"
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ajosi9.jpg

Basically a piece of hardwood or plywood block notched just enough to clear the receiver ring and rest on the edge of the stock and a small C clamp. Install it, put some pressure on the clamp the toss it in a freezer for a day. As soon as the metal contracts the clamp tension will pull it free.

Its also works well on a non glue job. Instead of bang'n, rock'n and pull'n, a little tension on the clamp and maybe a light upward bump on the barrel they pop loose, the tool pulls the lug straight up and out.

Bill

thats perty slick

skoger
10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I have bedded hundreds of rifles, literally, and stuck a few. One trick is to put a screwdriver tip in the end of a soldering iron and stick in the action screws slot in the head. If your is allen head, just sit the tip in the hole, make prop to hold it out of playdo, let sit for 30-45 minutes and they usually pop free with a good wack! Another buddy of mine used a oil heater, replaces the dipstick on a semi for cold climates, just run down the barrel and plug in, will heat the metal enough to loosen the bond, not the temper of the steel.

stevec
10-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I bedded my wifes rifle a few nights ago and the next morning I could not get it loose. Went to work and worried about it all day. Had to get it out cause the trigger was laying on the bench!
Planned on making an apparptus like Billpa uses. got home and looked at it again and I didnt remove the front stock bolt! :-[ :-[ :-[ Took it out and the action popped right out like it ought to!

Steve

BrentWin
10-23-2009, 10:57 PM
You send them to school, you buy their books, and they still eat the teacher........

AHHHHH........ Miss Cromwell ;D

no_name
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Carnuba car wax works the best.......

Actually Evercoat mold release works best.

Outlaw, try freezing the rifle, the steel should shrink enough to pop loose. I had to do that before..... Actually I prefer to bed in the winter, keep the barreled action in the house nice and warm, bed the thing nice and tight, then set it out in the garage to cure and let it cold to release. Of course that was when I was in CO and it routinely got below freezing, here in MD I don't know if that process would work.

yorketransport
10-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I always find this sort of post when I'm considering bedding one of my guns. Now I'm not sure that I want to try it. :-\

Andrew

jlcpls
10-24-2009, 07:27 PM
1000's more go off without a hitch.

bed it.