PDA

View Full Version : Just a tip learned the hard way

Pages : 1 [2]

Galveston22
10-24-2009, 08:08 PM
An easy way, the "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outer"
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ajosi9.jpg

Basically a piece of hardwood or plywood block notched just enough to clear the receiver ring and rest on the edge of the stock and a small C clamp. Install it, put some pressure on the clamp the toss it in a freezer for a day. As soon as the metal contracts the clamp tension will pull it free.

Its also works well on a non glue job. Instead of bang'n, rock'n and pull'n, a little tension on the clamp and maybe a light upward bump on the barrel they pop loose, the tool pulls the lug straight up and out.

Bill

They say necessity is the mother of invention. Very clever indeed.

outlawkyote
10-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I always find this sort of post when I'm considering bedding one of my guns. Now I'm not sure that I want to try it. :-\

Andrew

Dont let this stop you, Ive done so many jobs successfully that I just got sloppy on this one. Also, I havent tried "real" hard to get it out either, just loosened to action screws and pulled.

Truth be known, Ive got another rifle that I bedded before I went to sleep at 2PM (im workn graves right now) and I just popped it loose about 2 seconds ago, no problem, only one quick tug.

big honkin jeep
10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a couple of fairly long bolts with the heads cut off I use when doing bedding jobs to align the action and the holes. A couple of whacks with a hammer with the bolts tightened all the way has always popped em loose for me.
Good luck BHJ