PDA

View Full Version : savage 110BA replacement barrels, bolts, lugs

Pages : 1 2 [3]

memilanuk
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
...other than it is possible to compress the case slightly given the mechanical advantage of the threads, if a person leans on the nut wrench a little too hard.

There's a reason headspace gauges come made out of solid steel.

Not saying it can't be done with a spent case; I've done it that way when I had a barrel in hand and a desire to go shoot and no gauge yet. It works, but its not necessarily the best way.

ghostwriter
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
solid steel, true statement, but once the initial set is done with a "steel gauge", the muzzle brake would oriented properly and could be used to confirm the threading wasn't 'too much', or too little. Considering this rifle, the 110 BA, has a bake that is basically solid on the bottom, it makes a good second check to insure the barrel isn't too tight. I hear what you're saying, but a steel one wouldn't take up much space and a set of go/no-go gauges for each caliber don't take up much room either. Just add to the case and git er dun.

efm77
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
We know it's not rocket science. No need for all the smart remarks. I've rebarreled several rifles myself and while am no expert I have a good understanding of how to set headspace. What I and most everyone else on here was trying to clarify is exactly how you were doing it. The reason for that is because your initial comments sort of made it sound like you were having it set up as a switch barrel kinda like a Blaser, or some other quick take down rifle (Browing BLR takedown comes to mind). If you're doing it using witness marks where the nut stays in place that's a fine way to do it and you've also now indicated that you are using some tools which you implied originally that you could do all this with no tools. That's where the confusion came in and why so many questions were asked I think. Anyway glad to hear you're happy with it and good luck with your project.

ghostwriter
04-10-2011, 03:03 AM
I think what I implied or at least tried to was the use of minimal tools. My remarks were NOT smart in your meaning of the sentence and if you received it that way, I'm sorry. I have tried to explain that screwing a barrel on and off is not as difficult on this rifle as it might be on some others.
This is obviously new territory for some and if it turns out as I have hoped it will, it might catch on as a new method of owning two very nice high end rifles for the price of one and half at the most.
I can only admire your ability and understanding as to how and how not to re-barrel a rifle. A gunsmithing trade is a mysterious and precise craft that the very least and simple shooters like myself are usually in awe at your abilites and achievments.

ghostwriter
04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
it is a true switch barrel or take down if it has interrupted threads and you only have to turn the barrel a partial turn.

You thinking you have invented a new, secret wheel again is amusing. It has all been done even if you have not gone back in the archives to see it. there have been guys with screw drivers and hammers taking off barrels with out ever taking them out of the stock. so even minimal tools has been done. barrels have been center punched with witness marks, shouldered , nuts set with solder , locktite, set screws, double nuts. only thing left for you that is not done already, is to spline the brake so you can do it from that end. some one is already using something through the brake Im Owning 2 rifles for the cost of one and half, I can hardly wait! You not going to say buy a second barrel and change it back and forth on the same receiver, are you? :o ::)

sure.

Escuse me but I never claimed to have invented anything, quite the contrary. I already knew this is being done on other rifles, just NOT the 110 BA model. I just wanted it on MY rifle.

[i]... and YES, if you already read the entire post, this is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Use the same receiver and switch barrels. Do you know what a 110 BA looks like? You should take a look.[i]

macon
12-08-2012, 12:20 PM
forget the lapua and build a 338 ultra mag similar ballistics i got one and love it. brass is easier to come by.my 338 ultramag and my gunsmiths 338lapua shoot the 300smks pretty darn close.i have shot at 1400 yds it makes the steel gong every shot gotta love it i got half of what my smith has in his lapua.sinman use to have 338 barells.