PDA

View Full Version : E-Callers???

Pages : [1] 2

kingranch
10-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I am looking at getting a new electronic caller. I am leaning toward either the FoxPro scorpion or FX3. I don't have any experience with any of the "modern" type callers. I used to have an old Johnny Stewart caller (cassette tape deck in a tackle box) it work good, but was heavy and had to have to caller right beside me to control volume etc.

I want feed back on these callers from folks that have used them in the real world, good and bad. Other callers to. Volume? battery life? remote operation? Any information that I can use before I spend $400-$500, then wish that I had bought something else. I will be calling predators in Oklahoma and south central Kansas. Both in the woods and in the open prairie.

Lets hear what you have to say.

Kingranch

bluealtered
10-22-2009, 08:03 AM
you might consider the cass creek callers, they are inexpensive and work very well. I don't have mine in front of me but will say it's the nomad mx4, it comes with a remote so you can get away from it, and there is a optional loud speaker that i swear you can hear in the next county. So far the battery life seems to be pretty good. If i remember right it's casscreek.com hope that gets you there. blue

kingranch
10-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Nobody has an opinion or advise on this???? Nodody has or uses electronic predator calls? Would appreciate some help here! Its a big investment.

Kingranch

BrentWin
10-27-2009, 08:09 AM
You can't go wrong with a Foxpro, if you hunt enough to justify the price tag.

stevec
10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I bought a western rivers e-caller some time back. would not suggest it, already died.
as far as Fox Pro, never used one but heard great things about it, cant remember hearing anything negative.

Steve

kingranch
10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
You can't go wrong with a Foxpro, if you hunt enough to justify the price tag.

didn't even know that I needed to "JUSTIFY" a piece of hunting/shooting gear!!! I think I will just act like I didn't hear that!!!!

outlawkyote
10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Ive had a couple foxpro's and wasnt very impressed with them, sold them both. Im using the Johnny Stewart MP3 setup now and I like it.

I have been looking at the scorpion lately though.

5spd
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Take a look here under electronic caller for all your answers.
Foxpro/WT/Gametrack callers are the go to ones 97% of the time.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Gary paugh
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Get the FX3 or the CS-24 i think it's the best caller that foxpro makes i've owned 4 foxpro's

Solothurn
10-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Several years ago I bought a cd-based caller from a company that has been in the game call business for years. It was overpriced and the speaker was useless.

I put a E-caller together similar to the link below and it sounds good. The only thing I've called is crows, but it sure brings them in.

An MP3 player with enough memory to hold a bunch of sounds is the way to go. Plenty of free calls are on the net and you don't have to worry bout changing tapes or cds in the woods.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml

kingranch
11-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Ive had a couple foxpro's and wasnt very impressed with them, sold them both. Im using the Johnny Stewart MP3 setup now and I like it.

I have been looking at the scorpion lately though.

Outlawkyote ... What did you not like about the Foxpros that you had?

Several years ago I bought a cd-based caller from a company that has been in the game call business for years. It was overpriced and the speaker was useless.

I put a E-caller together similar to the link below and it sounds good. The only thing I've called is crows, but it sure brings them in.

An MP3 player with enough memory to hold a bunch of sounds is the way to go. Plenty of free calls are on the net and you don't have to worry bout changing tapes or cds in the woods.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml

Solothurn ... I put one of these together today and was not impressed. I guess that I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy a caller with a remote.

Kingranch

outlawkyote
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
It doesnt sound as good as the JS. My ears are about shot but even I could tell a difference in the quality of sound.

If a guy purchased an aftermarket horn for the foxpro, would prolly help but then ya got more parts to carry.

river grant
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I bought a western rivers e-caller some time back. would not suggest it, already died.
as far as Fox Pro, never used one but heard great things about it, cant remember hearing anything negative.

Steve

X2 on this. My western rivers unit had poor remote performance and then the 1/64" threaded piece on one of the antennas sheared off at the base and could no longer be attached to the unit. Western Rivers wasn't very helpful in offering a solution for my broken antenna.

stevec
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM

Steve

X2 on this. My western rivers unit had poor remote performance and then the 1/64" threaded piece on one of the antennas sheared off at the base and could no longer be attached to the unit. Western Rivers wasn't very helpful in offering a solution for my broken antenna.

I replaced the antenna on mne myself, the origonal one broke about the third time I used it.

Steve

Slowpoke Slim
11-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm looking very seriously at the FX3 myself. I got to play with one finally at Cabelas last week. It seems to offer the features I'm looking for. I've heard guys on other forums saying that their remotes are getting them 70-100 yards, which is enough for me. I'll probably pick one up after the holidays, unless someone puts them on sale at a good price before then. Both Cabelas and Bass Pro list them for 399.99 here in town.

venatic
11-15-2009, 09:06 PM
You cannot go wrong with the Foxpro. I have used most models they make and the FX3 is a good one. If the caller is elevated a foot or so above ground level you should be able to use the remote way out there 200yds or so. I have had the FX5 too and the remote is a little nicer and the Fury I have now is even nicer and I have verified my remote will work on the Fury out past 500yds if it was ever needed that far. The one thing Foxpro is known for is customer service as well.

kingranch
11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm looking very seriously at the FX3 myself. I got to play with one finally at Cabelas last week. It seems to offer the features I'm looking for. I've heard guys on other forums saying that their remotes are getting them 70-100 yards, which is enough for me. I'll probably pick one up after the holidays, unless someone puts them on sale at a good price before then. Both Cabelas and Bass Pro list them for 399.99 here in town.

It looks to me like you cam go to the Foxpro website and get it for te same money, but you can pick the sounds that you want. The ones that come from Cabelas/Bas Pro Shop have a standard soundlist. It looks like it costs the same.

Kingranch

Three44s
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
If you want to really find out about Savages ......... go to the Savage forum .....

But if you REALLY want to get buried in predator info .......

....... go here:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

BTW ....... the folks at Fox Pro do a good job ..... I don't have a commercial e-caller but you are also on the right track by ordering a custom play list. It's a no brainer!

And welcome to predator e-calling!!!

Three 44s

desertdog
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
if you got the money? wildlife technologies is the best sounds you can get. i got a older one a little heavy but well Worth the money. 8) dd

efm77
12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Anyone tried to new Foxpro Spitfire?