PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x284 confusion

Pages : [1] 2

bajabill
02-25-2011, 11:30 AM
considering this chambering

what go gage ( 284 win ?? )

what loading dies, is the 6.5x284 norma the same as 6.5x284win for dies, some different manufactures use different nomenclature? Maybe the same question for brass.

thank you all

WYcoyote
02-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I am in the process of a build using this cartridge, and I have done a bit of research, but bear in mind that my answers may need verification by a true expert.
Yes, the .284 go gage is correct.
No difference in dies and brass, altho my box of Lapua states "Norma".
The difference between the Win. and Norma is in the chamber, the Norma having a longer throat to allow long bullets with high BCs to be seated farther out, therefor increasing powder capacity, at the expense of having to use a long action. Or single feed with the SA.
Norma filed the paper work and made their version a standard factory cartridge.
If you insist on a short action with a magazine, a .260 Rem may be a better choice.
The long Norma is making this a popular round, and is the one to get IMHO.

k80skeet
02-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I have a 6.5X284 and use both Winchester and Lapua brass and have not had a problem. The only problem which nobody writes much about is barrel life. 900 would be a lot and 600-700 is normal before it is gone. That is short for anyone who shoots very much. There are a lot of calibers that will shoot just as well and have a lot more barrel life. When the one I have is shot out I will not replace the barrel with a 6.5X284 barrel life is just too short.

rsbhunter
02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Bajabill...i just ordered my Krieger 6.5x284 barrel, knowing that it is a "barrel burner". Think about having it "nitrided". This process is starting to catch on , and from some reliable sources (1000yd benchrest shooters) it really helps with the life. Just make SURE that all machining is done prior to doing this process, as i hear it takes it to a whole new level of hardness, and machining will be all but impossible after..... But, this caliber will wear out the throat sooner than other 6.5's. But so doesn't my 7 mag, 300 RUM, and probably the 6xc, and 260 AI i'm building right now....If your like me, it's a known fact, and i'm not shooting prairie dogs with it.....if it lasts 1200 rounds, it will have been worth it for the fun i had with it...anyway, just a thought about the nitrideing.....rsbhunter

WYcoyote
02-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't know why that every time the 6.5-.284 is mentioned the dreaded "barrel burner" tag is pinned on it.
The case has about the same capacity as a '06 and the bore is only one step smaller than the .270.
In that case, the fire breathing 25-06 must absolutely melt down a barrel in several hundred shots.
The .257 Weatherby has to fry the rifling off before it's even sighted in.
.270 WSM? .264 Win mag? 6.5 Rem mag? .270 Weatherby mag? 7mm RUM? Wouldn't all these burn a barrel faster?
Why when these are mentioned nobody slaps the burner rep on them?
I think this comes from the benchrest guys that when it hits a 1000 rds. the accuracy goes from the .2-.3" range to +.5" and it is officially "shot out".
Rant over.
PS, I'm getting my barrel nitrided too.

rsbhunter
02-26-2011, 11:15 PM
I wish my Krieger would be ready soon, but i'm looking at a long time before it's finished, Why don't we see if we can get a couple barrels to be nitrided, and see if we can't get a better price...seems 358hammer had talked about a bulk ship, i think it was him.....but if we set a date, and ship all at the same time...The company MIGHT give a price break...i will ultimitly be doing 3 bbls......let me know if there is any interest, and we'll set up a tenative date, meanwhile we can check on the possible discount....rsbhunter

WYcoyote
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I wish my Krieger would be ready soon, but i'm looking at a long time before it's finished, Why don't we see if we can get a couple barrels to be nitrided, and see if we can't get a better price...seems 358hammer had talked about a bulk ship, i think it was him.....but if we set a date, and ship all at the same time...The company MIGHT give a price break...i will ultimitly be doing 3 bbls......let me know if there is any interest, and we'll set up a tenative date, meanwhile we can check on the possible discount....rsbhunter

Darn, too late for me, I think Benchmark Barrels already sent mine in with a batch.

Switchbarrel
02-27-2011, 04:16 AM

You might want to recheck that. When I built my 6.5x.284's the Winchester brass had a case head dia. of ~.496" and the Lapua/Norma brass ran ~.500". While some folks do use them interchangeably, I would pick one and keep it consistent (dies & brass).

-Rick

nsaqam
02-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't know why that every time the 6.5-.284 is mentioned the dreaded "barrel burner" tag is pinned on it.
The case has about the same capacity as a '06 and the bore is only one step smaller than the .270.
In that case, the fire breathing 25-06 must absolutely melt down a barrel in several hundred shots.
The .257 Weatherby has to fry the rifling off before it's even sighted in.
.270 WSM? .264 Win mag? 6.5 Rem mag? .270 Weatherby mag? 7mm RUM? Wouldn't all these burn a barrel faster?
Why when these are mentioned nobody slaps the burner rep on them?
I think this comes from the benchrest guys that when it hits a 1000 rds. the accuracy goes from the .2-.3" range to +.5" and it is officially "shot out".
Rant over.
PS, I'm getting my barrel nitrided too.

Exactly correct and it needed to be pointed out.

Don't do something stupid like letting the barrel get smoking hot and the 6.5x284 will last a lifetime+.

k80skeet
02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
They are truly barrel BURNERS the only one that I have ever owned that was worse was the 264 Winchester. The 7MM Rem mag is nowhere near as bad either is the 25-06 at the very worse they will both get twice the barrel. One of my close shooting buddies had a 6.5X284 in a Cooper when he first started it would shoot 3 to 4 inch group at 600 yards after 600 round he could not keep 3 shot on a 18" square target. Checking after 300 rounds with a Hawkeye bore scope there were fire cracks up 2" into the barrel. He wasn't shooting hot loads around 2800fps so don't fool yourself into thinking you are going to get 1500. They do shoot very well just not for very long. If you can afford to replace barrels every 600 to 700 rounds go for it.

WYcoyote
02-27-2011, 12:23 PM

You might want to recheck that. When I built my 6.5x.284's the Winchester brass had a case head dia. of ~.496" and the Lapua/Norma brass ran ~.500". While some folks do use them interchangeably, I would pick one and keep it consistent (dies & brass).

-Rick

Just mic'd my new Lapua brass and the case head (rim) is .472" and the body is .497"
My Forster go gage is case head (rim) .472" and body is .496".

nsaqam
02-27-2011, 12:29 PM
They are truly barrel BURNERS the only one that I have ever owned that was worse was the 264 Winchester. The 7MM Rem mag is nowhere near as bad either is the 25-06 at the very worse they will both get twice the barrel. One of my close shooting buddies had a 6.5X284 in a Cooper when he first started it would shoot 3 to 4 inch group at 600 yards after 600 round he could not keep 3 shot on a 18" square target. Checking after 300 rounds with a Hawkeye bore scope there were fire cracks up 2" into the barrel. He wasn't shooting hot loads around 2800fps so don't fool yourself into thinking you are going to get 1500. They do shoot very well just not for very long. If you can afford to replace barrels every 600 to 700 rounds go for it.

Think what you will but the 25-06 burns just as much powder at just as high pressure as the 6.5-284 and does it through a smaller bore. If the 6.5 is a burner the 25-06 would be even worse.
Facts are facts. Treat the barrel correctly and it will last a lifetime +.

WYcoyote
02-27-2011, 01:01 PM

How long can you expect a 6.5-barrel to last? Fatboy says: “Depends on the barrel steel, your firing style, your cleaning methods and your allowable accuracy. I have had them go as early as 700 rounds, and one going strong at 1200 when I pulled them. Most go about 1000 to 1200 rounds. My last one is at 1040 and still shooting cleans at 500 yards and high 180?s at 1000.”

Quote from this article at 6mmbr. Keep in mind this is competitive benchrest accuracy they are referring to.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/65x284/

sha-ul
02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Think what you will but the 25-06 burns just as much powder at just as high pressure as the 6.5-284 and does it through a smaller bore. If the 6.5 is a burner the 25-06 would be even worse.

Is there possibly a difference in case geometry that could explain the the difference?

WYcoyote
02-27-2011, 01:37 PM

Is there possibly a difference in case geometry that could explain the the difference?

Possible, the case geometry seems to help in the accuracy department.

kslefty
02-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Think sharpshooters analogy is the best I have seen. Seems most barrels start to give up the ghost after digesting near 13 pounds of powder. Do the math and this seems to be fairly accurate. This is 4000 .223 rounds and 1600 25-06 with average loads.

Switchbarrel
02-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Just mic'd my new Lapua brass and the case head (rim) is .472" and the body is .497"
My Forster go gage is case head (rim) .472" and body is .496".

It'll be interesting to see what your fired brass mic's out at. I don't know if it would make a difference, is your go gauge for the Win. or Norma version? When I was in the same boat a few years ago, I was told Winchester (being smaller) will fit the Norma chamber, but not easily the other way around.

I've got .498-.4985" on my new Lapua brass. My fired Lapua brass runs .4995-.500" After resizing it's .4990". I'm sure there's plenty of variations but, the reamer prints I've seen show the case head (web/body whatever) dia. for the Norma version to be about .501". I have the 6.5x.284 Shehane which blows the taper out of the body somewhat. I can't measure my reamer or go gauge as they're out chambering another barrel for my heavy gun. Anyway, enjoy your rifle when it's done!

-Rick

WYcoyote
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
My go gage is a .284 Win.
Still waiting on the barrel from Benchmark.
Ready to play with it!

bajabill
02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Is the hornady die set correct for the Norma chambering?

Im getting a criterion barrel and chose this over the 260 for the ability to shoot the longer bullets. I am partial to the burners perhaps since I have a 2506, 270wsm, 7mrem, 300rum. Once these are cooked, I could get a 30-378 to carry me over.

NATTY BUMPO
02-28-2011, 09:49 PM
The 'barrel burner' rep has to be understood in the context of:
1) benchrest accuracy standards are tighter than hunting standards
2) benchrest shooters put a lot more rounds downrange during practice and matches over the life of the barrel than the average hunter
3) benchrest shooters put rounds downrange very quickly during matches lots of rounds at high velocity in short period of time + hot barrel = shorter life

Consequently, if you are a hunter, the barrels shouldn't 'burn out' any faster than any other caliber. The point is well taken that cartridges like the 257 Wby, 257 STW, 7mm RUM, etc put out rounds just as fast if not faster. Since this is the Savage forum, it can be assumed that replacing a barrel, should one actually shoot one out, wouldn't be that big a deal or that difficult. For those who lose sleep over such things, there is always the .30-30.