PDA

View Full Version : Does your savage shoot off to the right

Pages : [1] 2

frank1947
01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
I have 3 and all of them shoot to the right after sighting in you hardly have any adjustment left, in a perfect world your adjustment would be close to center allowing for wind at long range, like to see iof this is normal on savage I have had barrels replaced by them 2 out of 3 and still to the right on initial sight in at 100 then I have to use bushings to get it centered, do you have this issue.

Tim300wsm
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
you can corect that with burris signiture rings 50 bucks well spent i have them on every gun i use a scope on

frank1947
01-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I do to but recently I had Shilen put a barrel on a new savage action i bought and wasnt off near as much, but all the others are off 10 to 12 inches , on some of my scopes i have had to put 10 moa in front and 10 moa on rear to get to center, have you vdone that also, I sent one gun back that took 15 on standard adjutable base and 10 front and 10 rear

Tim300wsm
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
i think my 12 was off 5 to 10 i think its due to the scope base holes not being perfectly straight im not sure if they are drilled and tapped before or after heat treatment but if they are done prior it would make sense why they are off it would also beat up the tooling less to do it before im sure some one on this board knows the order of machining they do

frank1947
01-21-2011, 11:41 PM
I have a 12 f class sent it back and got it back yesterday to cold to shoot but from just bore sighting from inside I would say its no different then when I sent it to them.

oldguy
01-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Had same problem with my model 12 BTVS in 223 returned to Savage they replaced barrel I installed scope and was at point of aim in 3 rounds no issues since.

frank1947
01-22-2011, 12:01 AM
oldguy, I am curious how much windage adjustment do you have both right and left is one way more then the other

82boy
01-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Does your savage shoot off to the right

Nope, none of mine do. I can not say I have ever seen one that did.

chestsprings
01-22-2011, 12:20 AM
I have a VLP short action that initially shot off to the right approx. 22 inches.

had Fred T&T it. still does , but only now about 15 inches. He told me the threads in the action are true now, & I believe him.

I use the Burris inserts to correct the 15 inches , depending on the barrels I use.

I use to fuss about it, but now I accept it, & change the inserts depending on the barrel I install.

not only that , but the action is off from front to back. I discussed that on the forum quite a while ago, & now accept it also.

frank1947
01-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Got a feeling I will have to accept it also or maybe go to remington actions and krieger barrels, just glad burris has got us covered with their rings, do you guys use standard base or picatinney?

But basic price and accuracy is good on savage, gotta take bad with the good.

helotaxi
01-22-2011, 06:20 AM
My old rifle has been within 5 MOA of center with every scope or ring/base combo I've ever put on it. Up to 3 different scopes that it's worn over the year and 3 different sets of bases and rings. My 12FV was within 1MOA with Weaver 2 pc bases and Signature rings with 0 inserts.

What bases and rings are you using?

McKinneyMike
01-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Got a feeling I will have to accept it also or maybe go to remington actions and krieger barrels, just glad burris has got us covered with their rings, do you guys use standard base or picatinney?

But basic price and accuracy is good on savage, gotta take bad with the good.

Why on Earth would anyone believe that a Remington would be better than a Savage with respect to this issue? I have heard more than enough QC issues with Remington to scare me off and then factor in their CS reputation! Kreiger makes a fine barrel no doubt, but there are a great many quality barrel makers out there today. The smith that does the chambering is the key to getting a shooter more than the maker of the barrels today.

J.Baker
01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
i think my 12 was off 5 to 10 i think its due to the scope base holes not being perfectly straight im not sure if they are drilled and tapped before or after heat treatment but if they are done prior it would make sense why they are off it would also beat up the tooling less to do it before im sure some one on this board knows the order of machining they do

Scope mounting holes are drilled and tapped before it goes to heat-treat. The heat-treat process warps all actions, some worse than others. The warping is typically more obvious on long-actions (obviously) than it is on short-actions.

pdog06
01-22-2011, 09:31 AM
I have 1 action that is like that. I have since swapped out barrels to make it a .223 for short yardage varmint work. That way I wont be needin to dial in any windage in the field, therefore allowing me to use that adjustment to sight in the scope. My scope has 80moa available, and it takes about 20moa of extra windage to one side to get it zeroed.

So basically I have just accepted it and forget about it, even though I dont really like it. I bought this action used on another forum and was never told about it, and the seller didnt wanna give me a refund(ya know," it was OK when he had it" ::)). So it was easier to just use it this way instead of making a huge deal out of it.

Cycler
01-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Millett makes "Angle Loc" rings that have significant windage adjustment built into their Weaver-compatible rings. With these, both rings can be adjusted so you have a lot of latitude for correction.

Also Leupold-Redfield type twist-in bases and rings allow windage adjustment using the clamping screws that tighten the rear base.

Tim300wsm
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
thank you MrFurious for confirming that if your action is warped badly you could weld the scope base holes and drill and tap new ones

frank1947
01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
well this thread answered my question, thought i may have been the only one now i see most are off, wish i would have ask long time ago, i have several bases and sets of rings tried many, Leupold, burris, EGW, Weaver both standard and picatinny, even bought Wheeler Eng. set up kit for $100, if you use 1 piece picatinny rail its useless they alighn no problem if you use standard base its good to have but not necessary.

thanks for all the great input.
Frank

chestsprings
01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
frank1947,

I use a Farrell picatinney.

A person has to realize that screwing a barrel with no shoulder into an action, there will be some "play". the slop of the threads in the action & barrel.

I have been playing with a Leupold Zero Bore ( LZB) scope, & my 3 barrels. 223 Shilen, 22-250 McGowan, & Rem 6mm McGowan.

I will put one of the barrels on the action, use the Go gauge, put tape on it, head space it tight, & see where the LZB shows where it is on target. The LZB has a grid on it.

Have to remember the LZB is a tool to help you get on a target. Not 100% exact.

The LZB will show a reading. then I take the tape off, & re-head space it, check the LZB, different reading. Then put the NO-Go gauge in, & head space it again, just so the bold will close with a lot of pressure. Check the LZB again, & a different reading.

I have done this exercise using the above method over & over again, & get a different results each time. . Just shows that it’s about impossible, at least for me, to set the head space exactually each time you change the same barrel. Hard to find the same point each time. That’s why on barrels changes, (at least me) I have to tweet the scope settings.

The above also shows that all barrels are not 100% true from chamber to bore. This has been discussed by many people a lot more knowledgeable then me.

I have a “cheat sheet” that shows when I put one of the barrels on, what Burris inserts to place in the front & rear rings, with my Bushnell Elite 8 X 32 scope .

Now some people would not go bonkers on this, & think I’m “different”, & think it’s a waste of time, but for me, I find it very interesting. I’m sure some BR people on here will tell you BR gunsmiths try to” index” the barrel on there BR guns.

Since I like to “tinker/experiment” I find it rewarding to do this.

I like my Savage rifle it shoots great, & I learn a lot of things from people on this forum who are very knowledgeable.

Just me.

358Hammer
01-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Ya-know, I guess I have never checked.

Have usually used a scope alignment tool and used rings shims or whatever to align before I put a scope on.

Once the scope is on I have a scope that pretty much sits directly over the bore. One time I did note the scope base holes were quite a bit out of alignment so I put my jig on and re-drilled a accurate set of holes. This was on a Remington about 20 years ago. About the same time I purchased a new varminter in 22-250 that would not shoot under 2" at 100 yards.

I reloaded for a month trying everything I knew and could not get it under 2 inches. I gave Boots Obermeyer a call and it was off to Boots place. It was inspected closely. Boots lapped the ugly bore and sent me to shooting. He thought as I did that the chamber was off center. Remington had already insulted me by sending the gun back with, " it is within tolerances".

I sent them a letter speaking of Boots inspecting. That Boots had inspected several of these new model varminters to date with all having the exact same issue. My 20 years as a competitor and that I had purchased the last Remington product. I might add here that one year earlier I purchased a new 300 Mag with the same problem. I sent it back and when it returned to me 4 months later it shot into one hole.

Saying one is going to Remington because??? is simply foolish if one thinks that Remington is a better product. There are a lot of long time Remington fans and followers out there watching Savage shooters bringing home a lot of shooting awards!

Neal

frank1947
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Neal, I have two Rems one is a 12 gauge and the other is a 700 Mil Spec .308 on a HS Precision Stock from the factory24 inch barrel, that cost as much as my F Class gun in a 6mm BR 30 inch barrel, I have 4 Savages, 2 6mmBR, 1 243 Win and 1 in a .223, I have had no issues with the Rem they all shoot sub 1/2 MOA but 3 out of 4 savages 2 had to go back to factory, the third I had to change the stock to make it shoot and the fourth was okay do to the Shilen barrel, the one Rem is just right. I spent alot of time and money to get the savages under 1/2 moa finding the right bullet and the right spot for the bullet to lands, the Rem I just loaded at standard COL and my results were sub 1/2 moa out of the box, I am only going on my experience with both, I think from now on I will not buy a complete gun from anyone but buy just actions and someone elses barrel and stock, since the savage with the Shilen barrel has been the best, I spent years shooting USPSA pistol in open class with all custom build guns, but do to age and some medical issues I have stopped USPSA and have gone to rifle since it is for more relaxing then runnin and gunnin. Appreciate your input.