PDA

View Full Version : Does your savage shoot off to the right

Pages : 1 [2]

sha-ul
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Has anyone developed a technique to straighten the warped actions?

82boy
01-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Yes, SSS has.

sha-ul
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Yes, SSS has.

Is that part of his T&T operation? or available separately?

scratcherky
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Be real wary of using Millet Angle- Loc rings. Those things are notorious for ruining perfectly good scopes.

82boy
01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Is that part of his T&T operation? or available separately?

Yes, You may be able to have it done separately, but if you going to send them an action whay not get it T&Ted.

chestsprings
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
hope people realise the T&T ( which I had done) & straighting the action, if warped will not correct the "off centered drilled action/base", if they are off center. does it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

82 boy,

your opinion, since the action holes for the base are drilled at the same time the action is made/heated treated, they probably are straight!!!!!!!!!, then the heat treated "warps " the action. then do you think by Fred correcting ( straighting) the action, the action/base hole would be lined up correctly??????

if I understood Fred correctly, the T&T will make the actions threads correct. I don't think if the base screws are off center, he fills them & re taps them. does he?

I don't know if he offers that service too.

82boy
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
if I understood Fred correctly, the T&T will make the actions threads correct. I don't think if the base screws are off center, he fills them & re taps them. does he?

No, He doest recut ANY threads in a T&T job.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,4899.0.html

chestsprings
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
sorry, my misunderstanding on the threads.

thanks for the "link" to T&T.

I remember reading it before, but forgot all it said.

ellobo
01-22-2011, 06:50 PM
To the average Joe who buys and owns just one rifle,(probably the vast majority of users), who have this problem are instantly convinced that Savages are junk and trades it in for something else while his buddies tell him he was a fool for buying a cheap crummy
Savage in the first place. Of such things are reputations built. To me this should never happen in such numbers. Any action with off-center scope mounting holes should be QCed out and checked with a simple fixture to weed out the bad ones. A good reputation is worth this small step.

El Lobo

oldguy
01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
oldguy, I am curious how much windage adjustment do you have both right and left is one way more then the other

Prior to repair I maxed out to left now after new barrel only minor adjustment was needed for sighting in, now have
large amount of adjusted remaining. Prior to repair I was using a Leupold windage base and Burris inserts (max)the scope alignment was visually noticeable just was not going to live with it, Savage never explained the problem with the barrel but I was happy with the repairs as I have nearly 1000 round through new barrel shooting consistently less then .500@100 yards and If I do my part some groups @.250.

frank1947
01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
olguy thanks
82boy , thanks for link, man thats alot no wonder their so far off, I wonder after this work is preformed if their is a noticable improvement in accuracy, I would think so with everything being in alighnment.

I guess if savage was to do all that the gun price would increase, In my buddies indoor range and full line store I see savages come back and traded frequently, more then others but he stocks 3 times as many savages as any other gun.

Cycler
01-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Be real wary of using Millet Angle- Loc rings. Those things are notorious for ruining perfectly good scopes.

How do they do that? I suppose if you offset the windage adjustment on one ring ar one extreme and the other at the other extreme, the ring mis-alignment could be enough to be a problem. However, keeping them as centered as possible while using one or both for minor windage corrections seem to be safe.

sharpshooter
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Millet rings are cast, and notorious for not being exactly round. They also have under cuts inside the clamping surface and are extremely hard.