PDA

View Full Version : Weather Warrior action - Has anyone been following this?

Pages : [1] 2

jawjadawg
12-25-2010, 07:13 AM
I am real curious about this thread on The High Road, especially now that the thread has been shut down for no apparent reason by the moderators. It is an interesting read, albeit there are a few knee-jerk reactions to the customer service and response being provided by Savage.

Has Savage changed the dimensions for the new stock, smooth barrel nut rifles; or are the 4 or 5 rifles mentioned in this thread just an anomaly?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=559442

Merry Christmas!

gotcha
12-25-2010, 05:49 PM
dawg, I've had same problems w/ Savage receiver. Was fore-warned by Jim @NSS prior to purchase. In this case a Mod. 12 sngl. shot. It seems the factory does some smoothing of the contours of the upper receiver rings for cosmetic purposes. Possibly to remove machine/fixture marks in these areas. I suspect many of the inquiries on the forum relating to difficulties w/ scope alignment are attributed to this anomaly. In my case I used a one piece steel base w/windage adjustable rear scope ring and brass shims @ the rear base screw to level all prior to scope mounting. I'm told the front recvr. ring will always be flat. Just my limited experience. But, the photo reference seems to support the claim. Can't say I haven't had the same difugalties w/ other factory actions over the years. Must admit the action in question probably shouldn't have left the factory. Happy New Year, Dale

82boy
12-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I would say the actions are bent from the heat treatment process, if they was straighten I would say the problem would be fixed.

jumpalot
12-26-2010, 12:31 AM
If they were bent, then why is the bottom of the action parallel and the top is not? And if they were bent as much as those actions are off, I wouldn't think the bolt would operate.

ellobo
12-26-2010, 02:30 AM
I read every post and looked at every picture taken of that action and as far as I can see it is a screw-up in manufacture and has nothing to do with heat treat warping, twisting or any other heat treating problem. Savage as much as admitted that some rifles wre ground that way for cosmetic reasons. Evidently the problem got resolved because the posts quit. I wonder how many good scopes got tuined due to this and the average rifle buyer did not have a clue as to what was happening.

El Lobo

jawjadawg
12-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I read every post and looked at every picture taken of that action and as far as I can see it is a screw-up in manufacture and has nothing to do with heat treat warping, twisting or any other heat treating problem. Savage as much as admitted that some rifles wre ground that way for cosmetic reasons. Evidently the problem got resolved because the posts quit. I wonder how many good scopes got tuined due to this and the average rifle buyer did not have a clue as to what was happening.

El Lobo

I don't see where the posts "quit". The thread was still very active just a couple of days ago, and only started on Dec 8th, 2010. Several other people came forward during that time to report their rifles were the same as the OP's, but then the moderator mysteriously closed the thread "by request". WTH does that mean? If the problem was solved then the OP should have stated such.

shovelheadave
12-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmmm, that smells kind of fishy.

EFBell
12-26-2010, 03:39 PM
ok, so why didn't he just measure the diameter of the reciever front and rear from top to bottom and post it like he was asked?

Smokey262
12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Because he is a dumaz, and he wanted to believe in a conspiracy between Savage and the ring manufacturer

EFBell
12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm with you Smokey!

oldguy
12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I've purchased 3 Savages in past year, 2 had to be returned for corrections now all 3 are tack driving accurate. No doubt it was a hassle and time consuming but they were good in making repairs. In all honesty I will probably go with another brand next time, that does not mean I've given up on my Savage rifles as I've been a life long fan.

gotcha
12-27-2010, 12:50 PM
jumpalot, ellobo +1 ! Don't understand why anyone would attempt mounting a scope before checking that reciever was parallel & equal diameter no matter what brand. They ALL have potential for this problem to one degree or another. It's not a matter of brand but common sense. This site benefits shooters and keeps Savage on its toes, that's a good thing. Never ceases to amaze me how many out-of -the-box thinkers we have here (another good thing) I'd like to thank all here that helped me out this year. I'm sure I'll have some stupid questions on my next build & don't want to burn any bridges. ;D Happy New Year to all, Dale

Nor Cal Mikie
12-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Dale: I would disagree with you on one point. Common sence?? You buy a new rifle that has the holes drilled and threaded from the factory for a scope mount. You buy a mount that is made to fit the action and screw it on without ever thinking that the action would be machined or modified "wrong". After you get the scope mounted and can't get it adjusted, "only then" would I expect to be looking for a problem with the action.
The average person buys a rifle on faith that it's a top notch product.
Maybe after you've had a few years under your belt playing with firearms and ran into problems of mis machined actions would you think of checking "before" you tried mounting a scope mount.
Out of the last 5 Savage actions that I've built on, I've never thought about checking to see if the action was straight or machined wrong "before" I installed a mount and scope. Sounds like there may be a few out there that are out of specs but, I've never ran into one. JMHO, Mike.

And as far as a "stupud question"? The only stupid question is when you ask, "Did I really do that last night"? :o ;D

gotcha
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Mikie, Thanks for the encouragement ! Please understand that prior to this year, all my rifle experience was with Remington. :-[ Nuff said? As to the stoopid question, yes, I REALLY did that last night ! And my wife still isn't talking to me ;D

ellobo
12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I have to agree with Nor-Cal Mikey, The vast majority of Savage buyers will own just that one rifle and expect it to work properly first time every time. They know nothing of barrel swapping and care less, or copper mines in thier barrels and all the things we on this forum know about. None of them may suspect a problem with receivers having different diameters front and back. Its the last thing I would expect in a rifle, or off center scope mounting screws or triggers adjustments. I think I am fairly knowledgable about rifles having shot center fires for 55+ yrs, but there are some things I just do not expect to see in a new rifle nor do I feel I have to check everything about a rifle for correct manufacture before I use it.

El Lobo

Nefarioud
12-29-2010, 12:57 AM
I had one that was like that, a VLP, Paid $900 for it. Sent it back the replaced the barrel, didn't work so they replaced the action.

Yes, now it's awesome and yes While I was waiting I bought the LRPV (which is my favorite gun) so I guess I have to thank them. It does not bode well with me that I purchased a $900 savage (which would make it a higher end model) and had to have it basically replaced and wait three month sans rifle for the issue to get sorted. Savage has worked hard to build a reputation and become a respected brand, it might be worth it to spend a little extra time to ensure these things don't get out of the factory and cause a stir. I am a very patient understanding person and never got terribly upset during the ordeal; however, as has been discussed in the past gun stores are filled with loud mouthed guys that couldn't qualify to flip burgers that will bad mouth the products into oblivion over such things. Perhaps it's because I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford alternatives that it really wasn't a big deal; but, could you imagine the disappointment of the guy that saved and saved and proudly arrived home with his new rifle only to find out it wasn't right? Then to lose three months of good shooting weather to get it sorted? I believe this would be off-putting toward the brand.

With that said, I have quite a few and was willing to spend nearly $2k on a new model because they took responsibility and fixed the situation.

yorketransport
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I have a new Weather Warrior that is off by a small amount. I noticed it when I went to align the scope rings. I didn't worry about it though. I just mounted the scope in a set of Burris Signature rings and called it good.

Andrew

oldguy
12-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I have a new Weather Warrior that is off by a small amount. I noticed it when I went to align the scope rings. I didn't worry about it though. I just mounted the scope in a set of Burris Signature rings and called it good.

Andrew

Sad to say many companies bet on that factor in sending out products,,,,All depends on degree of error and what we are willing to accept, I had a new young engineer tell me years ago when I failed a product(not firearms) that his concern was getting the product out the door not that it was made well, I did not last long in there quality control dept. ;D

Idahojoe
01-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I bought a 116 and the action was warped. I noticed it when installing a one piece mount, the rear had about .060 gap. Reading threads here I bedded the rear and used Burris Signature rings and enjoyed and extra 20+ MOA on my Leupold. So I have a column of bedding under the back of the mount, targets at 700 to 1000yds don't seem to care. Some of the flaws are not bad as in my case. Good luck, Idahojoe

jersey joe
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a 116 and this discussion prompted me to check my model.
While everything is level I @#$%^*%^$'ing snapped the screw while redoing my ring base.
There's got to be a moral to this story. How does "let sleeping dogs lie" sound?