PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Scales

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ernest T
02-04-2023, 07:02 PM
I found this addressing scale drift

"Scale drift and other phenomena that have traditionally plagued older scales have been overcome by better electronics and better programming. That is not to say you cannot make this scale drift if you tried, but that is true of any electronic scale including those that use an MRF load cell."

Fuj'
02-05-2023, 07:09 AM
Some scales with higher weight resolutions are susceptible to air currents and are
used inside a wind screen box. My Peregrines with a 0.00 resolution drifts if I run
my hand across it too fast. First several times I used them, I was having fits with
them bouncing around until I realized it was the close by furnace register blowing
hot air across the room. If you have a florescent light above your bench, replace
the tubes with the new LED tubes. They are not cheap but the cost of electric is nill
compared to the old ones. The only other thing I do is to plug the scales into an old
line conditioner I used on my computers.

nksmfamjp
02-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 Precision reloading scale

i have this scale. It is very accurate, to my old check weights and the certified weights it comes with. It is very fast. Sensitive to 1 kernel or the big stuff…0.03 per kernel or 0.02 of the fine stuff trickled in. It is much faster than my dispenser was. I’m guessing 20s per charge??

Basically, I:
Remove pan from scale
Throw charge in pan
Set pan on scale
Weigh charge
Trickle with Little Dandy Trickler
When stable, remove from scale
Dump in funnel/case
place pan to scale
move funnel to next case
repeat

I really like the high level of accuracy and lack of drift I see running this scale. I’m about 1yr in. Never had an issue or concern.

I have left it with just the pan on for hours with no change of zero. I have left a check weight on it with no change in weighed value. I have run the above cycle with a check weight 10 times with no change in value. I have put a check weight on it after loading a session….still no change.

I have little air movement where it is used. I could take covers off, but I find removing just one side makes it stabilize faster and is less sensitive to my movements.

Ernest T
02-05-2023, 12:14 PM
I reload in my workshop — it’s a brick building with windows and a 10’ garage door, it’s heated, but not cooled. I have to shut the windows and doors, otherwise the breeze causes the scales to fluctuate. The garage door faces north, when the wind is blowing from that direction the door flexes enough, when closed, to affect both scales. It’s rough in the summer when it’s 100 degrees and I have to close the windows and doors. A functional, convenient enclosure would be nice.

GrenGuy
02-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Dump powder in the BATHROOM.

If You want it bad enough, You will find a solution.

charlie b
02-05-2023, 05:01 PM
Even my relatively cheap Lyman automatic scale (Gen6) is sensitive to air currents. It only reads out to the 0.1gn. I reload in a closet, just sliding doors. I can't have the ceiling fan on and I had to move the scale since it was in the path of the A/C vent. Once I figured that out I didn't have to used the 'wind shield' that came with the scale.

Ernest T
02-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Dump powder in the BATHROOM.

If You want it bad enough, You will find a solution.

With all due respect, WTF do you call reloading in a sealed up building, in Texas, in the summer, without even a fan on when its 105 outside if not "wanting it bad enough"?

GrenGuy
02-05-2023, 07:28 PM
With all due respect, WTF do you call reloading in a sealed up building, in Texas, in the summer, without even a fan on when its 105 outside if not "wanting it bad enough"?
Well, I typed a fine reply, but it said I didn’t have permission to post? Others have complained about this, perhaps the moderators could explain why this happens? I know You want it bad enough...My solution is to dump powder in a closed up bathroom, not in the garage.

Stumpkiller
02-05-2023, 08:12 PM
My basement is L shaped and my loading bench is in the toe. As far from the entry steps and outside door as I can get.

Ernest T
02-05-2023, 08:22 PM
Well, I typed a fine reply, but it said I didn’t have permission to post? Others have complained about this, perhaps the moderators could explain why this happens? I know You want it bad enough...My solution is to dump powder in a closed up bathroom, not in the garage.

Your idea has merit, especially since loading powder doesn't require reefing on a press so the equipment can just sit on the counter. I'm sure enjoying the winter though!

Ernest T
02-13-2023, 10:34 AM
I decided to go with the Creedmoor.

Its gotten good reviews
Its been reported that it has very little to no drift over long periods of time.
Its native language is grains
I think its accuracy is more than adequate for measuring precise loads.
I like the design of the wind screen.
Its now almost $300 less than the A&D.

The only negative is I'm not sure how I'll interface my trickler with it.

I'll let you know how it works.

Ernest T
02-16-2023, 10:11 PM
The scale came today.

It's got a ding on the display, I haven't decided if I want to send it back yet.

I just had enough time to mess with it a few minutes tonight. These Hornady bullets appear to be very close to their advertised weight. I set the scale up to weight 55 grains and it indicates just below that weight.

The TRX says it weighs just below 55 grains too.

These bullets made by Magtech aren't as close to their advertised weight.

GrenGuy
02-17-2023, 09:14 AM
That is a good start. The real test is to weigh out a powder change to 29.92 grains, consistently.

If You keep over shooting the target weight by .02grn, You can always cut kernels ;-))

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 07:01 PM
I got lucky, my Lyman trickler has long enough spout to drop the powder into the pan. I drilled a hole in the side of the windscreen and stuck the spout through it. The Lyman has a cast iron base that screws in and out of the bottom of the trickler to raise or lower it, depending on the height of the scale you're using, but it was a little short for the Creedmoor. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood to raise it.

I set the Lee Safety scale up to measure 40.8 gr of powder and checked the weight against the TRX-925. For an analog scale, the Lee is pretty accurate.

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 07:38 PM
I started reloading by setting up my RCBS Competition powder measure to drop just under 40.8 grains and trickled up to the target of 40.8 grains. I found the powder measure is more accurate than I thought it was when I was using a digital scale that only displayed to tenths.

That black dot in the lower left corner comes on when the scale is weighing and changing the display.

The scale isn't especially fast at weighing a charge, but its sensitive enough to recognize when you're trickling and the unstable icon comes on as it responds to the powder being dropped into the pan. If you try to go too fast, you can overshoot the mark because the scale isn't fast enough to keep up. It's not slow, just not especially fast.

Displaying two digits to the right of the decimal point makes it easier to measure accurately, but it also causes some issues when you're .002 below the target and drop a grain into the pan and it shoots up to .003 over.

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 07:40 PM
I contacted Creedmoor Sports about the display and they are sending a replacement scale and an RMA to send this one back. That ding in the display would have aggravated me every time I used it. It seems like a good company that stands behind their product.

GrenGuy
02-17-2023, 09:22 PM
-.02 to +.03 ... that’s why I said some purest cut powder kernels in half. I have found this is not necessary because all stick powders have long and short kernels. With experience, you learn to recognize the one that is needed, spread out there on the bench.

Measuring to these extremes assumes the ability to shoot the different on target.

Using an example, with Your scale, if You load to 40.12 you have the potential for max load weight accuracy. If You load to 40.1 the accuracy potential lessens. If You load to 41 it lessens even greater. With a scale like Yours , it is best to load to the second decimal point for the maximum weight accuracy.

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 11:34 PM
-.02 to +.03 ... that’s why I said some purest cut powder kernels in half. I have found this is not necessary because all stick powders have long and short kernels. With experience, you learn to recognize the one that is needed, spread out there on the bench.

Measuring to these extremes assumes the ability to shoot the different on target.

Using an example, with Your scale, if You load to 40.12 you have the potential for max load weight accuracy. If You load to 40.1 the accuracy potential lessens. If You load to 41 it lessens even greater. With a scale like Yours , it is best to load to the second decimal point for the maximum weight accuracy.

I can see I need a pair of tweezers to grab the correct kernel with the extruded powder. I'm thinking finer powders won't be an issue.

Stumpkiller
02-18-2023, 12:05 AM
I have a plastic pair of tweezers I use for just that.

charlie b
02-18-2023, 09:39 AM
I use a metal pair. The plastic ones have to be 'cleaned' of static too often in my climate.