PDA

View Full Version : Deer season with the 25/35 carbine...

Pages : [1] 2

FyrepowrX
12-19-2022, 10:31 PM
Somewhere along the way, i developed a fondness for assorted .25 calibers in contender carbines, and also in bolt guns, and have acquired some assorted varieties that get hunted with a fair bit.

In the contender carbine, through various barrel trades &acquisitions... guess it must have been nearly 20 years ago...i got a22" tapered 25/35 carbine that was a matte finished barrel from the TC Custom shop. It shot well & over the years i tried varying loads, including a dozen different bullets by varying makers, a slight as the 80gr TTSX, up to traditional 117gr RN by Hornady & remington.

This year i decided to use some middle weight bullets in the 100gr range, and loaded up an assortment of test loads with LeverEvolutionpowder. As it turned out, i still never did get to test all those, almost right off the bat the rifle showed a liking for a particular combination: 28.0gr of LE powder, with the long discontinued 100rWinchester Silvertip bullets. (Murphy's law in action right there...it liked the bullet i have the least of.) With those bullets long dried up & seldom seen, I still decided i'd still give it a whirl &try those this year. In the cabinet there was still a partial box with about 75 pcs of those, so even with some used up in sighting &load development, i'll still have enough to load 50 rounds. And in a single shot deer hunting gun, that'll carry me through a lot of seasons. And, I gotta admit...those bullets simply looked cool.

Not that other loads shot poorly; the Speer 100gr HP bullet shot about as well with the same powder charge, and i have a few boxes of those. According to some posts suggested by some other 25/35 fans, that bullet has a reputation for working well at the milder speeds produced in this cartridge. I still never did chrono any, but guessing them to be in the 2400-ish fps velocity range, or thereabouts. Recoil was low, noticeably less than my 30/30carbines.

Our bonus doe season opened Sunday, and i was in a tree well before daylight, about halfway between 2 food plots on my farm, that are about 1/4 mile apart. The gradual downslope between them has mature oak/hickory hardwood timber & we've been burning that area on a2-3 year rotation, which has killed out small undergrowth &brushy trees, to the point it is possible to see over 100 yards. This year with the bad summer drought, vegetation was even more sparse &it was possible to see almost 150 yards in some spots.

The weather was good. minimal wind was in my favor, and temps were in themid-20's, so leaves were crunchy. I could hear deer walking quite away off, and heard something stirring around twice before daylight.

It wasn't until 8:00 or so i got a good look at some deer, first one was a spike buck with forward hooked spikes...he passed about 75 yards out, heading uphill to the plot behind me. About 30 minutes later, a doe appeared, also headed up hill...but on a trail farther out. I guessed her at a bit over a hundred yards, moving slowly. She was far enough away in the timber that had I not been looking at the right place , at the right time, she would have passed unseen. The glass on the carbine is 1.75-6x leupold short tube, and at first i had it on 4x...i turned it up to 6x, used my shooting stick to steady the rifle & find her shoulder in the field of view. Wondering about trajectory, I thought about it for a bit, then held a tad over halfway up her body, and when she paused, i took up the trigger slack.

Contender triggers always surprise me when they go off, as there is no creep orslack, and pull is light...the shot felt good, and she high kicked,made a few leaps...and then i lost sight of her. Unsure of the shot,i sat tight, watching for movement, but saw none.

When things calmed down, i would peek at the area every now & then, but saw no further action. I almost always stick a small pair of binoculars in my pack...except today. In about 30 minutes the sun angle had changed...and i was almost sure i could see a wee bit of a white patch, like that of a deer belly reflecting light through the trees & slight brush.

By then a half hour had passed & i made note of the direction, climbed down out of the ladder stand, and sat out towards the area. The mystery white patch was farther away than i had thought...138steps...and it was indeed the belly of a downed deer.

https://i.imgur.com/m4I91iH.jpg

The shot went a tad low, but still clipped the bottom of the heart, and exit hole was about the size of a quarter or so....exit visible in the pics. She had only made it a few yards after the shot before falling.

I got her back to camp, and after the skinning/quartering, took a bit of the inside loins & sliced them thin, and tossed them in a skillet with butter, garlic, salt, and pepper...and then ate that on a couple of slices of toast. A well & fitting deer camp breakfast.

https://i.imgur.com/ZQlCZ14.jpg

At mid-day I hung around camp, shot a few rifles, and waited for the afternoon to come to head back out. By 3:00 I was about a mile farther north of the morning hunt, perched in a tree on a ridge that has always done well for me....think it was 5 or 6 years ago that in the same spot I got my best-yet buck with a contender carbine in.445supermag on a nice crisp evening.

Sunday afternoon it began to cloud up, and the heavy clouds made it look later than it actually was. I was in the ladder for not quite 45minutes, when I saw a group of does angling up the hill towards my area. At about 90 yards the leading deer turned broadside and lowered her head. I got steady on the shooting sticks, and took up the pull of the trigger & sent a shot. She was absolutely flattened at the shot & dropped in her tracks. Deer exploded in every direction, but she was down & out.

In hind sight I think I held a tad bit high, having been a touch low on the morning shot...the bullet hit the top of the shoulder on my side, and she was done.

https://i.imgur.com/Zgbl6o5.jpg

I paused for a bit, enjoying the cool afternoon....the time had passed very quickly that day. With 2 more deer in the cooler, my bonus doe tags had been filled for the year. I still have a bow tag left , and had a nice buck on camera still, but with things usually a bit hectic around the holidays I don't think I will get back out to deer hunt. I'm pretty much calling the year's deer season done...it was a good one. Before getting down from my perch I took another pic of the carbine...the new phone I have takes better pix than my camera. (Or maybe i'm not smart enough to run the camera properly?)

https://i.imgur.com/KkDrd5p.jpg

I do intend to work some more with the rifle to test some ladder loads with LeverEvolution & some other modern powders , with various100 grain bullets. In other 30/30 based cartridges i've had some smokin good speeds & fine accuracy with AR-Comp, and CFE223, so those will likely get tried as well.

The lack of data has always been an issue for25/35 shooters...most data is for lever gun use, featuring 60/75grain flat points, and 117gr round nose designs. I have used the traditional 117gr Round Nose bullet & have taken deer & hogs with that bullet...but always found it a bit underwhelming. Yes, the deer & hogs came home with me to reside in my freezer, but I have always felt that a more peppy load with 100gr or so bullets going2400-2600fps might just be a slightly more perfect balance of speed, bullet weight, and sheer “thump” for guys like me that enjoy poking around in the woods to chase deer at modest ranges.

The weather is supposed to turn bitterly cold with wind chills at record lows in a few days, so I will likely spend the next week or so camped out in the man cave assembling test loads, maybe eating some fresh home-made deer chili courtesy of the 2 does from this week end. I will almost certainly NOT be out testing those loads......that invokes visions of that scene where Jeremiah Johnson finds Hatchet Jack frozen to a tree ,still clutching that “genuine Hawken rifle”. I like my 25/35, but don't really want to end up frozen to a tree with it.

Hope all here have a great & Merry Christmas, and hope all have had a fine & pleasant deer season this fall.

G~

FyrepowrX
12-19-2022, 10:38 PM
was hoping these pix would work, still getting used to the format here...looks like they did.

thebeav
12-19-2022, 10:44 PM
Nice write-up and photos. That's a great looking rifle.
"It's a good rifle and it kilt the bahr that kilt me ".....

BT
12-19-2022, 11:24 PM
What an awesome read! That was fun. LOL Yeah, don’t go freezin out there!

Great looking carbine, too!

Magnum Mike
12-19-2022, 11:57 PM
Thanks for sharing G! Sounds like you had a great time and got to put some critters in the freezer with a cartridge you really enjoy.

BobT
12-20-2022, 06:27 AM
Great story, great deer and a pretty little rifle! Thanks for sharing!

Slowpoke Slim
12-20-2022, 08:11 AM
I also like 25 caliber rifles. I think I have more 25's than any other rifle (but 30 cal is close). Mine are all bolt guns however. I load the 100 gr Nosler ballistic tips in my daughter's 257 Roberts.

Mjshell
12-20-2022, 08:43 AM
Great write up Gerald. Missouri’s alternative season opens this weekend. Hope to add to the freezer.

ramon
12-20-2022, 03:51 PM
Good write up and sounded like fun. Any more 25-35 loads you have please post. I have 14'' 25-35 and plan on trying it next year as the end is nearing for this season.

BT
12-20-2022, 09:55 PM
Great write up Gerald. Missouri’s alternative season opens this weekend. Hope to add to the freezer.
You’re gonna brave the cold this weekend? I may wait until Monday. Brrrr

Mjshell
12-20-2022, 10:09 PM
You’re gonna brave the cold this weekend? I may wait until Monday. Brrrr

great minds think alike :) but then again if the wind lays down and there’s snow on the ground, I might have to man a blind. Brings back memories of when I lived in northern Iowa.

sunnysmarine
12-20-2022, 10:26 PM
G dont worry if I find you froze to a tree I will take real good care of the 25-35 ;) or which ever other one you be holdin that day

real nice story and pics I applauded the heart shot, But the shoulder thumper just shows quarter bore is just a fine deer collector

BT
12-20-2022, 11:37 PM
great minds think alike :) but then again if the wind lays down and there’s snow on the ground, I might have to man a blind. Brings back memories of when I lived in northern Iowa.
You do have a good point. Looks like I’ll have company Saturday but Christmas Day is open. I got a great buck 5 years ago on a very cold Christmas afternoon hunt. Poor thing hung frozen solid in my shop for almost 3 weeks.

BT
12-20-2022, 11:40 PM
How is the improved version of the 25-35? Would forming 25-35 brass be the way to go as opposed to 30-30?

FyrepowrX
12-21-2022, 01:56 AM
The improved versions solve some of the case thrust issues caused by the very tapered case design on the 25/35 that can limit pressures/speeds, and also makes for longer case life. (And there are a few variants, mostly with very minor differences in neck length.)

I have a couple of .25x30-30 Ackleys....well, 2 carbines plus 1 pistol barrel, so 3 of them i guess...and i can get the 80gr TTSX to 3000fps in the rifles with fine accuracy and case life. When i first started playing with the regular 25/35 i could tell that some warmish load data, while still within data limits, were starting to cause pressure signs.

In the improved version, after fireforming any of the various 30-30 based ackleys, i size bodies by using a .375Win FL sizing die to bump back body diameter, (if necessary) and then adjust my FL sizing die to neck size only, and not bump shoulders...even with stout-ish loads i rarely have to bump shoulders back. In the regular version of the 25/35, max loads in my barrels usually DID need FL sizing.

I have tried fireforming 25/35 to ackleys a long time ago & had some case splits...but to be fair, i didn't anneal. Mostly i have stuck with 30/30 case in forming those simply because i could find plenty of it, as compared to 25/35 brass, which has never been plentiful, or cheap.

At one point i had THREE carbine barrels in 25x30-30Ackley, plus the pistol, which even i had to admit was excessive, and sold one. Never hurts to have a spare! That was because a few buddies had barrels made after shooting mine, and they later lost interest in single shots, and i couldn't in good conscience let them sell off barrels that shot really well. :rolleyes:

Buyer of the one barrel later told me he had fire-fomed a new/recent batch of Hornady 25/35 factory loaded ammo & it all was fine, no splits, but i didn't remember to follow up with him later to see how those held up on subsequent loadings. When i was fireforming i was using W-W 25/35 cases...maybe those were just a more brittle cases? Some folks that tend to shoot some "+P" pressure loads in other calibers have told me they thought Hornady brass tended to be "soft"...maybe that helped reduce the split factor? Dunno...lot of variables there.

Sunny...if you find me a froze to a tree, take that carbine of mine, and take it hunting now & then, and when you whack something, say "This one is for G!", or something like that. And, feel free to smack me up side of the head, and ask me why i was stupid enough to go out in this weather. :becky:

True story...some years ago, i had a REALLY good buck on camera for 2 years, which happens a fair bit in December; when the rut winds down they are hungry, and i plant enough plots to feed 'em well, so i see lots of good ones in Dec/Jan. I wanted this deer, and i spent more than a few REALLY cold days in tree stands...wind chills in single digits, or below... And, i found the deer didn't like it much more than i did. One day i put on a huge number of layers, sat in a tree for hours, with basically my big wooly coat & hood to where it was kind of like having a "snorkel" hood on, like Kenny in South Park. The condensation from my breath would collect on the bill of my hat, which started an icicle over my eyes. When that grew to about an inch long, it got distracting with it hanging in my field of view. So, i'd reach up and snap it off every hour or so. And, no surprise...i never laid eyes on that deer, as he was smart enough to not move around much in sub-zero wind chills. I still got some of his pictures...quite a few of them in fact, as he was taunting me...but never laid eyes on him.

https://i.imgur.com/8FtaPNL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KHZVSvQ.jpg

For a few years i hunted with a TC Custom Shop tapered contour contender pistol barrel in 25/35...i think it was about 14 or 15". It had a factory Muzzle Tamer brake, as whoever had it built ordered it that way, which to be seemed un-necessary as recoil aint bad...but that was the way it came when i got it. It did shoot well, but was painfully & irritatingly loud, and after a couple of seasons i traded it off....then never missed it after i got a 15" bull in the Improved version.

i'll look though the data stash and see what articles i squirreled away on the 25/35, but as you'd imagine most of them are geared to lever guns.

Mjshell
12-21-2022, 06:15 AM
That buck would be worth freezing your butt off over

sunnysmarine
12-21-2022, 12:55 PM
50 plus years ago in Black River Falls My granddad ask me if I wanted to go deer hunting in the morning with him WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING HECK YA I DO, (SF CA kid no idea what so ever) 5 am you need to dress really warm this morning he says as he shakes me alive. My brakes lock up on the mud porch as I see the thermometer 6 degrees WHAT NO WAY, went back to bed I did, CA sissy I was prepared to hear for the rest of my visit there, My cousins were glad to remind me of what a city boy I was. Did not happen they wern't going either same reason, 8 am my granddad wakes me up again and says do you want to see it, Yep I get ready to go out side and look he says its on the mud porch ????? why would you put a dead deer on the mud porch my aunt would of whipped us with a willow switch if we even got mud on it ???? There she was a nice sized doe frozen solid well close enough ( was on the mud porch to thaw so he could gut and skin it) Cured me of deer hunting!! 45 when I got my first not for lack of trying earlier just was not until then I was in the right place at the right time 70 degrees that day LOL, So your carbine will stay froze to you no worries.....Maybe

toddtd
12-21-2022, 01:19 PM
good shootin!!!!

sunnysmarine
12-21-2022, 02:33 PM
Hey G, what die set are you using for the 25 30-30, I wish you'd stop.... not really

FyrepowrX
12-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Sunny...my 25x30-30 Ackley die set are by Ch-4D, seems like the set was around a hundred bucks i think.